'The Handmaid's Tale': TV Review

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
'The Handmaid's Tale': TV Review

Hulu's all-too-timely adaptation of Margaret Atwood's novel is one of the spring's best new shows and makes Elisabeth Moss an immediate Emmy contender.

Branching out from Nov. 8, 2016, is an alternate timeline in which The Handmaid's Tale could simply be enjoyed as a beautifully produced speculative thriller, a cautionary tale worthy of praise particularly for Elisabeth Moss' lead performance and for perhaps being Hulu's first essential original.

Many involved in this adaptation of Margaret Atwood's revered dystopian novel might prefer that the series just play as wildly imaginative genre fare instead of as an urgent and all-too-timely warning about a world in which religious zealotry and despotic forces combine to control female reproductive health and disenfranchise women.

Reactions: 2 people
Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
I don't have anything of value to say about the question the article raises. I haven't read the novel, but the series looks good and I shall be tuning in !

Reactions: 1 person
Sep 2016
My own world
I really tried to read the novel several years ago. I found out I don't like Atwood's writing in the least. I will give the TV series a look see because I found the actual plot interesting. I hope its better than the book.

Last edited: