The Kavanaugh/Ford Testimony Thread

Jan 2011
San Diego, CA
The Iran deal is still in force, without the involvement of the USA.
Tax cuts without spending cuts have resulted in a huge deficit, totally unnecessary due to the recovered economy.
Global warming is real, despite the anti science rhetoric about it.
Low unemployment is all well and good, and has been going down for several years now.
Obamacare tax is gone, yes, resulting in freeloaders being able to freeload once again. Great victory. So much for repeal and replace with something better.
Conservatives seem to have forgotten Trump's victory at the polls. They continue to blame Obama and Clinton for all of the nation's ills.
So much winning!
You've studied up on your liberal narratives and done well...Meanwhile in the real world Trump is doing a fantastic job. Liberals just hate that.

Mar 2007
But she knows damn well it did happen and who did it.
How exactly do we know that? Because of the sincerity of her testimony? That's an awfully low bar. I think she sincerely believes Kav did it because she hid the memory for many decades and when her therapist helped her with recovering the memory she subconsciously filled in the identity with her imagination and her political leanings. I have posted multiple links about recovered memories that nobody has responded to or argued against. Recovered memories are weak and subject to outside manipulation. I sincerely believe this theory fits the facts AND her testimony. So is her recovered memory and her sincerity any more proof than my theory? If so, why?

How Does the Law Treat Repressed Memories?

Admissibility of Repressed Memories | LegalMatch Law Library

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13218719709524914?journalCode=tppl20

Beginning in the 1980s and gaining public attention in the 1990s, repressed memory therapy has offered a gateway for victims seeking justice as well as the creation of false accusations. There have been cases where a victim recovers a memory that is later corroborated by a confession of the abuser and other evidence.On the other hand, there have also been cases where a repressed memory was later discovered to be false and caused an innocent person to be accused and convicted of a heinous crime. There have been varying studies showing different conclusions about the existence of repressed memories and this lack of continuity has caused courts to differ wildly on whether to permit victims to testify about their newly recovered memories of abuse. Currently, the American Psychological Association acknowledges that there is no way to distinguish a repressed memory from a false one without corroborating evidence.

Last edited:
Mar 2007
DiFi didn't do anything until Dr. Ford was outed against her will. What could or should she have done before that? It is ALWAYS up to the survivor if and when their story is made public.
She also did not reveal the accusation to Kav when she interviewed him weeks before she read Ford's letter to the committee. Isn't it bad form to not give the nominee time to react to such an accusation?

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
She also did not reveal the accusation to Kav when she interviewed him weeks before she read Ford's letter to the committee. Isn't it bad form to not give the nominee time to react to such an accusation?
This is so stupid it's almost left me speechless.

If DiFi told Dr. Ford she would remain anonymous she wouldn't be able to ask Kavanaugh about the incident either.

Aug 2012
the Sussex Downs
Like every other thread on the topic, nobody actually wants to discuss recovered memories.
Ford is not a good example for you to use if recovered memory is what you want to discuss.

As a ps I did a lot of past life regression therapy at one time, it was very moreish and explained a lot psyche wise. My sister recovered partial memory of being sexually abused, as a child, whilst in a mild hypnotic state - the who was vague, she and I always knew something had happened but neither remembered much, and I ended up accusing an old family friend - with regret 'cos he died soon afterwards - now when we look back there was a family who we had much to do with as young things but who suddenly disappeared from our lives - my father knew something and a Dr was called for my little sister at that point 'she has lost her innocence' he said out loud as though his heart was broken--- of the measles??? - but it is all blurred now, like a dream.

Mar 2007
Ford is not a good example for you to use if recovered memory is what you want to discuss.

As a ps I did a lot of past life regression therapy at one time, it was very moreish and explained a lot psyche wise. My sister recovered partial memory of being sexually abused, as a child, whilst in a mild hypnotic state - the who was vague, she and I always knew something had happened but neither remembered much, and I ended up accusing an old family friend - with regret 'cos he died soon afterwards - now when we look back there was a family who we had much to do with as young things but who suddenly disappeared from our lives - my father knew something and a Dr was called for my little sister at that point 'she has lost her innocence' he said out loud as though his heart was broken--- of the measles??? - but it is all blurred now, like a dream.
There is not enough information about Ford's work with her therapist to know if recovered memories might be involved, but it seems to be a logical place to look if you think she was telling the truth as she remembered it, but that her memory might have been altered by some outside agency or a form of wish fulfillment operating in her subconscious. As the links I listed mention, there are examples, from court cases, of recovered memories being corroborated and proven to be false so I am not saying they are always wrong, but neither should they always be believed. I admit to liking this theory because it moves away from the "she's a liar or an idiot or a knowing political operative" toward something kinder.

But these discussions nearly always devolve into a couple of talking points on each side and avoid the more interesting possibilities.

So I complain.