The Kill Switch.....

Mar 2008
Broadcast Depth
Don't you think that if they can shut down the internet in which they have always had the ability to do.....that our communication devices will be censored as well? Think they would show Washington under siege and being besieged by millions of people?
I'm not sure I understand your point. Egyptians are under lockdown right now, but they still know the Executive is under siege.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Egyptians are under lockdown right now, but they still know the Executive is under siege.
Yes, but it took 3 days for the rest of the Country to discover what was going on In Cairo and Alexzandria.....in which when they did discover they then started rioting and protesting in their little towns and then as the call went out now more and more our filing out to the capitol or the nearest major city. With just the Egyptian Example.....thats 3 days behind the information and those mobilizing have no idea of what they are walking into.....

Note thats 3 days behind and most around the world were seeing what was happening. Yet those that live in that country did not!!!!!

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
Joe Lieberman has submitted a bill, which is now in the Senate I believe.....this bill is for the protection of Cyber-space. Protections and securities for our Computer World. To deal with issues of hacking by governments and freelancers.....I forgot what HR numbers it is but they are saying there is bi-partisan effort and it looks like the bill will be passed. But what it also does is give power to the President to be able to cut off all internet, cell phones, and communication devices. Which is what we have seen done by Iran, the Phillipines, and now Egypt. As one see this is to make sure that people have a hard time getting info and to prevent people from networking, or organizing. Thoughts?

The kill switch is a real bad idea. In time of an emergency cutting communications should be seen as criminally negligent. In a terror attack, if one actually happened, we would need communications for many reasons, to many to list. If this country ever goes the way of Egypt, cutting communications would be a liability to many. Just because there is mass protest and possible civil uprising, doesn't mean anyone out and about is part of it, yet they can find themselves in harms way. I have seen this first hand on the streets of Seattle, and I would bet my good leg that families receiving phone calls from family members reporting that they are fine came as a great relief.

The government uses excuses like the power grid. Well the power grid and other vital services has their own networks and is totally independent from the internet, say for emails and minor communications. Using it as an excuse to shut down the net is an act of desperation.

Silence is gloden.....~Uncle Sam

As you seen.....not only the internet but cell phones too. Althought Fact Checks says the bill is a good one that it does provide for securing our systems.....Still if it was to happen here the Government already has the means to grab all Television Media.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
As you seen.....not only the internet but cell phones too. Althought Fact Checks says the bill is a good one that it does provide for securing our systems.....Still if it was to happen here the Government already has the means to grab all Television Media.
This is all been done before, and history has a way of repeating itself. During the last revolution in Russia the fax machine was the weapon of choice.

Listen there are solutions. I operate ham radio and was busy with the super skyway whilst the super highway was being developed. With a simple CB radio(no I do use those, I am an elitist HAM!) and a TNC, one can easily begin message boards using packet. Packet was the inspiration for the net after all.

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
Business' would literally fail over night, people who aren't politically motivated now would be, this would be a horrible disaster for whoever decided to do it. Cutting communication would be the first shot fired in a revolution.

Mar 2008
Broadcast Depth
Business' would literally fail over night, people who aren't politically motivated now would be, this would be a horrible disaster for whoever decided to do it. Cutting communication would be the first shot fired in a revolution.
That's not to say that the government is aware enough to stop itself from making a poor choice, even with that being common knowledge.

Babylon

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Jersey
Joe Lieberman has submitted a bill, which is now in the Senate I believe.....this bill is for the protection of Cyber-space. Protections and securities for our Computer World. To deal with issues of hacking by governments and freelancers.....I forgot what HR numbers it is but they are saying there is bi-partisan effort and it looks like the bill will be passed. But what it also does is give power to the President to be able to cut off all internet, cell phones, and communication devices. Which is what we have seen done by Iran, the Phillipines, and now Egypt. As one see this is to make sure that people have a hard time getting info and to prevent people from networking, or organizing. Thoughts?
I read this before in the Left Behind series.. That series, as boring as it was is becoming more true every day..

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
Our country is a bit different. We would have an internet for business, but blogs and boards, forgetaboutit.

It would not last long.....Wall Street Bankers would get out of the country. What do you think our Aristocrats in Congress would do?
What would happen to celebrities? A revolution in this country would be ten times worse than what we are seeing in these other countries.

Liebermann did manage to get this in before he decided he was leaving politics.