The Last Time Republicans Passed A Gun Bill

Jul 2016
Florida
Remember when? It was only a little over three years ago.

oops.

Senate Republicans vote to expand gun access for mentally impaired

File Photo: Rhino 500 handguns are on display at the National Rifle Association (NRA) Annual Meetings and Exhibits on April 14, 2012 in St. Louis, Missouri.

Karen Bleier/AFP/Getty Images, File
02/15/17 02:14 PM—UPDATED 02/15/17 04:34 PM

By Steve Benen
Following up on our previous coverage, congressional Republicans have made a specific gun measure one of their early priorities. As of this morning, it’s on its way to becoming law.

Under the status quo, when an American suffers from a severe mental illness, to the point that he or she receives disability benefits through the Social Security Administration, there are a variety of limits created to help protect that person and his or her interests. These folks cannot, for example, go to a bank to cash a check on their own.

They also can’t buy a gun. Last week, the GOP-led House passed a measure to expand these Americans’ access to firearms, and as the Huffington Post noted, the GOP-led Senate did the same this morning.
Congress took its final step Wednesday to repeal a Social Security Administration rule that was written to prevent mentally incompetent people from buying guns. […]

Republicans, who frequently assert that the way to deal with gun violence is to deal with mental illness, in this case argued that the regulation mistreats disabled Americans.​
The Senate roll call is online here. Note that literally every Senate Republican voted for it, as did four red-state Democrats and one independent who caucuses with Dems.

Mar 2019
On a drive-by
Congress can pass gun laws from now until doomsday, but it makes little difference if they are not enforced.

I am not sure how many federal, state and local guns laws are already on the books. I have seen numbers ranging from 10,000 to 20,000.

It doesn't seem that more laws are going to help.

Jul 2016
Florida
Congress can pass gun laws from now until doomsday, but it makes little difference if they are not enforced.

I am not sure how many federal, state and local guns laws are already on the books. I have seen numbers ranging from 10,000 to 20,000.

It doesn't seem that more laws are going to help.
Perhaps they should penalize the gun owner as opposed to protect him/her?

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Ridiculously partisan hateful rhetoric.

Most states denied those who are/were inmates of mental ill hospitals from having a gun if they were a threat to themselves or others. Seems sensible to me.
I think this bill was more targeted to the elderly with dementia. That was how I took it. Gun owners with dementia is a growing problem now since our elderly are living longer. My Dad's buddy, his Dad has full blow Alz and he just shot is gas stove twice because he could not get the pilot light to work. The problem, he had a caregiver present and it had taken the family a year to get him in the program for custodial care. The caregiver was terrified and left immediately and he and his bed ridden wife was taken off the list for services. This elderly man has shot himself at least 5 times by accident and his kids will not allow the grandchildren in the house. When the family tried to take the guns away, he raged for 3 solid days, without sleeping.

Jul 2011
Old NYC/DMS
Remember when? It was only a little over three years ago.

oops.

File Photo: Rhino 500 handguns are on display at the National Rifle Association (NRA) Annual Meetings and Exhibits on April 14, 2012 in St. Louis, Missouri.

Karen Bleier/AFP/Getty Images, File
02/15/17 02:14 PM—UPDATED 02/15/17 04:34 PM

By Steve Benen
Following up on our previous coverage, congressional Republicans have made a specific gun measure one of their early priorities. As of this morning, it’s on its way to becoming law.

Under the status quo, when an American suffers from a severe mental illness, to the point that he or she receives disability benefits through the Social Security Administration, there are a variety of limits created to help protect that person and his or her interests. These folks cannot, for example, go to a bank to cash a check on their own.

They also can’t buy a gun. Last week, the GOP-led House passed a measure to expand these Americans’ access to firearms, and as the Huffington Post noted, the GOP-led Senate did the same this morning.
Congress took its final step Wednesday to repeal a Social Security Administration rule that was written to prevent mentally incompetent people from buying guns. […]
Republicans, who frequently assert that the way to deal with gun violence is to deal with mental illness, in this case argued that the regulation mistreats disabled Americans.​
The Senate roll call is online here. Note that literally every Senate Republican voted for it, as did four red-state Democrats and one independent who caucuses with Dems.

So do you want to address the gun issue or do you want to win a politics battle?

Jul 2016
Florida
I think this bill was more targeted to the elderly with dementia. That was how I took it. Gun owners with dementia is a growing problem now since our elderly are living longer. My Dad's buddy, his Dad has full blow Alz and he just shot is gas stove twice because he could not get the pilot light to work. The problem, he had a caregiver present and it had taken the family a year to get him in the program for custodial care. The caregiver was terrified and left immediately and he and his bed ridden wife was taken off the list for services. This elderly man has shot himself at least 5 times by accident and his kids will not allow the grandchildren in the house. When the family tried to take the guns away, he raged for 3 solid days, without sleeping.
I'm sure some cases like that exist, but many don't.