The last VCR to be manufactured this month - July 2016

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
Most of my listening is done on high quality Sennheiser headphones (I live in on campus, and can't have a decent sound system). I can easily tell the difference between say MP3 and CDA or WAVE files. The compression involves loosing a lot of content and significantly attenuates the frequency range.

Many people claim this is only important with classical music involving full orchestration, but it is noticeable (and detracts) even with solo instruments (particularly wide-range instruments such as the piano,) and voice. But I guess the difference is that (except in the car) I seldom have music just as background - I studied music and play the piano, so I listen carefully to the music I enjoy.

Unless one constructs the MP3 files from good original sources, and uses absolutely minimal compression (in which case the file size reduction is hardly worthwhile) I find them unbearable. Music is more than the bare bones of a catchy tune. :)

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Most of my listening is done on high quality Sennheiser headphones (I live in on campus, and can't have a decent sound system). I can easily tell the difference between say MP3 and CDA or WAVE files. The compression involves loosing a lot of content and significantly attenuates the frequency range.

Many people claim this is only important with classical music involving full orchestration, but it is noticeable (and detracts) even with solo instruments (particularly wide-range instruments such as the piano,) and voice. But I guess the difference is that (except in the car) I seldom have music just as background - I studied music and play the piano, so I listen carefully to the music I enjoy.

Unless one constructs the MP3 files from good original sources, and uses absolutely minimal compression (in which case the file size reduction is hardly worthwhile) I find them unbearable. Music is more than the bare bones of a catchy tune. :)
That Sennheiser is a great company, their microphones are legendary and a cut way above the others back in the day.

$700 microphone.

Are they noise cancelling?

I used to have big stereo systems, but anymore I use headphones and my computer sound system is plenty loud enough and I bought it for $25.

I like the technology nowadays, just hate the music, lol.

Thx :)

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
That Sennheiser is a great company, their microphones are legendary and a cut way above the others back in the day.

$700 microphone.

Are they noise cancelling?

I used to have big stereo systems, but anymore I use headphones and my computer sound system is plenty loud enough and I bought it for $25.

I like the technology nowadays, just hate the music, lol.

Thx :)
Mine are the new HD630VB Audiophile series, and were a gift from my uncle. I am a full time student and can't afford to spend $800 on headphones. I listened to the noise cancelling ones, but these have a much better sound. Like I said, I live in the halls of residence at uni, so I can't have a big sound system - even if I could afford it.

As for music, I like all types (except rap - which I don't consider music) but my favourite genre is music of the late romantic era (Beethoven to Mahler) and I play mostly the music of Beethoven, Chopin and Liszt. I am experimenting with Liszt's piano transcriptions of the various opera of Donizetti, Puccini, and Verdi at present, but they are quite demanding.

Sep 2014
in the noggins of yip yappers
Damn kids today don't remember when a paused video looked like this:

Nor will they know the meaning of "Please be kind... Rewind!"
Lol. We watch ours all the time. I have hundreds of tapes. Check the prices of Disney tapes on Ebay. o_O

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Lol. We watch ours all the time. I have hundreds of tapes. Check the prices of Disney tapes on Ebay. o_O
Yeah - that's a little deceptive.

Yes - there are original Disney VHS tapes listed on eBay for hundreds, even thousands of dollars.
No - people are not actually buying them at these prices. Realistically, the most you could get for one of these is about $30-$40 - if it's unopened.

Sep 2014
in the noggins of yip yappers
I have at least 95% of the big Disney movies. Like Lion King, Mulan, etc....we watch them alot. Im not selling them.;)

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
Damn kids today don't remember when a paused video looked like this:

Nor will they know the meaning of "Please be kind... Rewind!"
Lol, I've seen VHS tapes (a friend's dad has a collection) and I'm here to tell you the resolution really sucks. The best NTSC VHS had a resolution of 333 x 480 pixels (and PAL was only marginally better) - not even up to the basic 1980's computer standard of 480 x 640. And it's almost impossible to jump to a specific point on the tape - I don't know how his dad sits through a whole film on that medium. :disturbed:

Jun 2014
United States
Lol, I've seen VHS tapes (a friend's dad has a collection) and I'm here to tell you the resolution really sucks. The best NTSC VHS had a resolution of 333 x 480 pixels (and PAL was only marginally better) - not even up to the basic 1980's computer standard of 480 x 640. And it's almost impossible to jump to a specific point on the tape - I don't know how his dad sits through a whole film on that medium. :disturbed:

Just curious. Have you ever used a rotary dial telephone?