The liberal approach has failed

anonymous

Former Staff
Jun 2008
Passing Through
Liberalism never claimed it could eliminate poverty. It was stated as one of our goals. But no ever said we knew for certain that we could completely eliminate it. The War on Poverty was actually quite successful.

I'm certain you want a link to this info. It would be better, though, if ya googled it yourself. My links would probably be biased in your eyes. But take my word for it, The War on Poverty was successful. Just as SS has been phenomenally successful at reducing the senior poverty rate.

I can't argue the success of SS on the aged but I can argue that liberal policies alone are not the reason for the drop in the poverty rates in general. I do wish you had posted a more current graph but does show what you have stated.

Reactions: 1 person

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Uh,, those guys you listed were not all liberals. The middle class prospered because we protected our markets which resulted in near full employment. The liberal president signed NAFTA and struck down the law that separated banking from investment banking which has done more to ruin our economy than all the social spending.
Now that I can agree with 1000%!!!!

Asking our citizens to compete wage-wise with the Chinese and the Bangladeshis is why our wages have stagnated. We used to make the world's best refrigerators, TVs, radios, cars, buses, trains, steel, and we had a bustling and robust shoe and textile industry going.

Now we have lots of people waiting on other people, but we don't seem to actually make much anymore. And since service sector jobs are worth less to our society, people are making less money.

But the wealthy are wealthier than ever. And, there are more wealthy people. So, I guess that means something. Except that they can't make up for the reduction in demand from the middle and lower income people. There CANNOT be enough wealthy people to make up for the lack of demand from the middle and lower income people in our chosen economic system. So what is the point of encouraging wealth to the exclusion of the middle class? Which we are currently doing. I'm all for encouraging wealth under logical circumstances. But under the current circumstances encouragement of the lower and middle income brackets makes a whole lot more sense.

Reactions: 1 person

anonymous

Former Staff
Jun 2008
Passing Through
Now that I can agree with 1000%!!!!

Asking our citizens to compete wage-wise with the Chinese and the Bangladeshis is why our wages have stagnated. We used to make the world's best refrigerators, TVs, radios, cars, buses, trains, steel, and we had a bustling and robust shoe and textile industry going.

Now we have lots of people waiting on other people, but we don't seem to actually make much anymore. And since service sector jobs are worth less to our society, people are making less money.

But the wealthy are wealthier than ever. And, there are more wealthy people. So, I guess that means something. Except that they can't make up for the reduction in demand from the middle and lower income people. There CANNOT be enough wealthy people to make up for the lack of demand from the middle and lower income people in our chosen economic system. So what is the point of encouraging wealth to the exclusion of the middle class? Which we are currently doing. I'm all for encouraging wealth under logical circumstances. But under the current circumstances encouragement of the lower and middle income brackets makes a whole lot more sense.
Sure the wealth gap has widened. It all has been planned that way. We (as a people) need to decide whether we want this to continue or not. Obviously this guy we have as president now has no intention of reigning in the greed and corruption, nor do I see anyone out there that is willing to. Continually spending money on a broken system will not suffice and I think that is where we most often disagree. I have always been for helping the disadvantaged but the best way to do that is to have a robust economy. Robbing Peter to pay Paul has never worked and never will. Just think how many people could be fed for the cost of one tank. I want my country to be strong but I can not have that unless the people are strong and stand for what is right not what is expedient or immoral.

Anyway, I enjoy speaking with you and I know where your heart is.

anonymous

Former Staff
Jun 2008
Passing Through
[video=youtube;xQ7kn2-GEmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ7kn2-GEmM[/video]