The Lone Ranger Was A Black Man

Jul 2016
BAN THE TROLL!!!!
I had no idea until one of the kids brought this to me. Interesting!

https://www.history.com/news/bass-reeves-real-lone-ranger-a-black-man

Bass Reeves. (Credit: Public Domain)
After a decade of freedom, Bass returned to the Indian Territory when U.S. Marshal James Fagan recruited him to help rein in the criminals that plagued the land. Fagan, under the direction of federal judge Isaac C. Parker, brought in 200 deputy marshals to calm the growing chaos throughout the West. The deputy marshals were tasked with bringing in the countless thieves, murderers and fugitives who had overrun the expansive 75,000-square-mile territory. Able local shooters and trackers were sought out for the position, and Bass was one of the few African-Americans recruited.

Standing at 6 feet 2 inches, with proficient shooting skills from his time in the Civil War and his knowledge of the terrain and language, Bass was the perfect man for the challenge. Upon taking the job, he became the first black deputy U.S. marshal west of the Mississippi.

As deputy marshal, Bass is said to have arrested more than 3,000 people and killed 14 outlaws, all without sustaining a single gun wound, writes biographer Art T. Burton, who first asserted the theory that Bass had inspired the Lone Ranger in his 2006 book, Black Gun, Silver Star: The Life and Legend of Frontier Marshal Bass Reeves.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
yeah. I remember hearing about this story when people were criticizing Will Smith for portraying a black US Marshal in the horrid "The Wild Wild West" movie of his. That said. It's really a crying shame the way Hollywood has twisted our history.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
I had no idea until one of the kids brought this to me. Interesting!

https://www.history.com/news/bass-reeves-real-lone-ranger-a-black-man

Bass Reeves. (Credit: Public Domain)
After a decade of freedom, Bass returned to the Indian Territory when U.S. Marshal James Fagan recruited him to help rein in the criminals that plagued the land. Fagan, under the direction of federal judge Isaac C. Parker, brought in 200 deputy marshals to calm the growing chaos throughout the West. The deputy marshals were tasked with bringing in the countless thieves, murderers and fugitives who had overrun the expansive 75,000-square-mile territory. Able local shooters and trackers were sought out for the position, and Bass was one of the few African-Americans recruited.

Standing at 6 feet 2 inches, with proficient shooting skills from his time in the Civil War and his knowledge of the terrain and language, Bass was the perfect man for the challenge. Upon taking the job, he became the first black deputy U.S. marshal west of the Mississippi.

As deputy marshal, Bass is said to have arrested more than 3,000 people and killed 14 outlaws, all without sustaining a single gun wound, writes biographer Art T. Burton, who first asserted the theory that Bass had inspired the Lone Ranger in his 2006 book, Black Gun, Silver Star: The Life and Legend of Frontier Marshal Bass Reeves.
I've read about this guy, fascinating story. He once tracked down, arrested and brought in his own son on a charge for murder.

May 2016
california
He'd probably be in jail today. The ACLU would like to intervene, did you read him his rights? Couldn't you have pepper sprayed him? Do you have any witnesses to attest to that fact? You're on 30 day suspension while we investigate the shooting. The community complained so you're fired. And the ASPCA would like to know how often you feed your horse too.

Sep 2012
California
In the 70s, I remember a really funny bumper sticker that showed Tonto. It said "Kemosabe still means honky to me". Funny how I remember it to this day.

Dec 2018
Florida
So I’m a history nerd. I knew this about Bass Reeves. He was a bad ass. Would love to see him portrayed on the screen for real. Not sure who to cast for him. Denzel is always a great pick, but I feel like there is someone that looks like him. And I can’t place the name.