The Mental Disease of Late-Stage Capitalism

Sep 2013
On a hill
I’ve been talking with a lot of my friends recently — in private where they felt comfortable letting their guard down — about the dirty little secret no one is supposed to talk about.

The shame people feel when they can’t find a job…
…or pay their bills.
…or go to the dentist.
…or that they have to move back in with their parents.
…or they can’t afford to have children.

We are supposed to pretend, in this stupendously individualist culture, that it is our fault. The buck stops here. I am responsible for my failings in life.

Of course this is demonstrably not true. We are merely living through late-stage capitalism…

https://medium.com/joe_brewer/the-mental-disease-of-late-stage-capitalism-4a7bb2a1411c#.jw6kcx1y3

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 2014
California
I’ve been talking with a lot of my friends recently — in private where they felt comfortable letting their guard down — about the dirty little secret no one is supposed to talk about.

The shame people feel when they can’t find a job…
…or pay their bills.
…or go to the dentist.
…or that they have to move back in with their parents.
…or they can’t afford to have children.

We are supposed to pretend, in this stupendously individualist culture, that it is our fault. The buck stops here. I am responsible for my failings in life.

Of course this is demonstrably not true. We are merely living through late-stage capitalism…

https://medium.com/[MENTION=3687]jo...late-stage-capitalism-4a7bb2a1411c#.jw6kcx1y3
Ms. Labrea,

Yes, you are responsible for your failings in life, just like I can take credit for my successes.

Jan 2014
California
Once again, you didn't read the pace, did you.
Ms. Labrea,

Pace is tex-mex, made in Paris, Texas. I prefer Sadie' Salsa, which hails from Albuquerque.

Speaking of "Paris, Texas," you really should see it. Harry Dean Stanton plays one of his best roles.

Oct 2013
USA
That article says nothing beyond giving up. No new path. No nothing. No self. Just the drip. drip, drip of acceptance of a summation driven by the acceptance.

Sep 2013
On a hill
That article says nothing beyond giving up. No new path. No nothing. No self. Just the drip. drip, drip of acceptance of a summation driven by the acceptance.
Does this sound like giving up to you?

If I am going to be responsible for my fate in life, let it be because I chose to stand up and fight — that I helped dismantle the global architecture of wealth extraction that created this systemic corruption of our economic and political systems.

Now more than ever, we need spiritual healing. As this capitalist system destroys itself, we can step aside and find healing by living honestly and without fear.

Jan 2014
California
Does this sound like giving up to you?

If I am going to be responsible for my fate in life, let it be because I chose to stand up and fight — that I helped dismantle the global architecture of wealth extraction that created this systemic corruption of our economic and political systems.

Now more than ever, we need spiritual healing. As this capitalist system destroys itself, we can step aside and find healing by living honestly and without fear.
Ms. Labrea,

Sounds like the rantings of a loser. To me, that is.