The Misogyny of Climate Deniers

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
There is a tie between the rise of right wing populists here and in parts of Europe and the rise of white supremacists and white nationalists and even with the incells and the tie that binds them is the changes that Western societies are moving toward that are knocking white males from the dominant spot they held for so long and it threatens them and they're lashing out. It's showing up in different ways. Some are just using words to degrade and belittle personalities, mostly females, who are pushing for the changes that so many white men fear. Greta Thunberg and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are two of those personalities.

As Thunberg approached America, she was followed by a tsunami of male rage. On her first day of sailing, a multi-millionaire Brexit activist tweeted that he wished a freak accident would destroy her boat. A conservative Australian columnist called her a “deeply disturbed messiah of the global warming movement,” while the British far-right activist David Vance attacked the “sheer petulance of this arrogant child.”

In the U.S., former Trump staffer Steve Milloy recently called Thunberg a “teenage puppet,” and claimed that “the world laughs at this Greta charade,” while a widely shared far-right meme showed Trump tipping The Statue of Liberty to crush her boat. We can expect a surge of similar attacks in the U.S. as she arrives in New York this week.
The connection has to do with a sense of group identity under threat, Hultman told me—an identity they perceive to be under threat from all sides. Besieged, as they see it, both by developing gender equality—Hultman pointed specifically to the shock some men felt at the #MeToo movement—and now climate activism’s challenge to their way of life, male reactionaries motivated by right-wing nationalism, anti-feminism, and climate denialism increasingly overlap, the three reactions feeding off of one another.

“There is a package of values and behaviors connected to a form of masculinity that I call ‘industrial breadwinner masculinity.’ They see the world as separated between humans and nature. They believe humans are obliged to use nature and its resources to make products out of them. And they have a risk perception that nature will tolerate all types of waste. It’s a risk perception that doesn’t think of nature as vulnerable and as something that is possible to be destroyed. For them, economic growth is more important than the environment” Hultman told Deutsche Welle last year.

The corollary to this is that climate science, for skeptics, becomes feminized—or viewed as “oppositional to assumed entitlements of masculine primacy,” Hultman and fellow researcher Paul Pulé wrote in another paper.

The author points out that it lines up with the gender gap in this country when it comes to climate change. Ocasio-Cortez has been the brunt of a tremendous backlash from conservative men. They are absolutely obsessed with her. I see it here and on social media. She clearly is seen as a threat by them.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
There is a tie between the rise of right wing populists here and in parts of Europe and the rise of white supremacists and white nationalists and even with the incells and the tie that binds them is the changes that Western societies are moving toward that are knocking white males from the dominant spot they held for so long and it threatens them and they're lashing out. It's showing up in different ways. Some are just using words to degrade and belittle personalities, mostly females, who are pushing for the changes that so many white men fear. Greta Thunberg and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are two of those personalities.

The author points out that it lines up with the gender gap in this country when it comes to climate change. Ocasio-Cortez has been the brunt of a tremendous backlash from conservative men. They are absolutely obsessed with her. I see it here and on social media. She clearly is seen as a threat by them.
It's really this simple to them: Only pussy men and ugly lesbians believe in manmade climate change

Mar 2019
California

What in HELL has phony Climate Change got to do with misogyny? This HAS to be the stupidest observation ever. It does not even mesh. As far as AOC ,that entitled little spoiled BRAT is just friggin' STUPID. A Male equivalent? Beto would fit the bill. Now if THOSE two hooked up ,I would PRAY for their offspring. (snicker)

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
What in HELL has phony Climate Change got to do with misogyny? This HAS to be the stupidest observation ever. It does not even mesh. As far as AOC ,that entitled little spoiled BRAT is just friggin' STUPID. A Male equivalent? Beto would fit the bill. Now if THOSE two hooked up ,I would PRAY for their offspring. (snicker)
It's absolutely atrocious just how far right-wingers will go to dismiss anything AOC says out of hand because they believe that she's stupid, young and Hispanic. They never actually have anything to counter her arguments so they instead, attack her for looking crazy, etc. I've never seen such misdirected, sophomoric animosity directed at one person.

Members of a secret Facebook group of nearly 9,500 current and former Border Patrol agents posted vulgar memes about Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and joked about the deaths of Central American migrants ahead of Ocasio-Cortez's visit to migrant detention facilities on Monday with other lawmakers, ProPublica reported. Now, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency has launched an investigation into the group.

Screenshots reviewed by journalist A.C. Thompson show that members of the group "I’m 10-15" (Border Patrol code for "aliens in custody") encouraged each other to hurl a "burrito at these bitches," in reference to Ocasio-Cortez and Texas Rep. Veronica Escobar. They also posted explicit doctored images of Ocasio-Cortez engaging in oral sex, one of which shows President Donald Trump grabbing her by the neck and forcing her toward his crotch with a caption reading, "That’s right bitches. The masses have spoken and today democracy won."

Border Patrol Agents Posted Sexist AOC Memes & Joked About Migrant Deaths

It certainly makes Border Patrol fanatics, deniers and Trump supporters look like a bunch of racist, sexist pigs. Deny it all you want - the rest of humanity sees what they see.

Mar 2019
California
It's absolutely atrocious just how far right-wingers will go to dismiss anything AOC says out of hand because they believe that she's stupid, young and Hispanic. They never actually have anything to counter her arguments so they instead, attack her for looking crazy, etc. I've never seen such misdirected, sophomoric animosity directed at one person.

Members of a secret Facebook group of nearly 9,500 current and former Border Patrol agents posted vulgar memes about Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and joked about the deaths of Central American migrants ahead of Ocasio-Cortez's visit to migrant detention facilities on Monday with other lawmakers, ProPublica reported. Now, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency has launched an investigation into the group.

Screenshots reviewed by journalist A.C. Thompson show that members of the group "I’m 10-15" (Border Patrol code for "aliens in custody") encouraged each other to hurl a "burrito at these bitches," in reference to Ocasio-Cortez and Texas Rep. Veronica Escobar. They also posted explicit doctored images of Ocasio-Cortez engaging in oral sex, one of which shows President Donald Trump grabbing her by the neck and forcing her toward his crotch with a caption reading, "That’s right bitches. The masses have spoken and today democracy won."

Border Patrol Agents Posted Sexist AOC Memes & Joked About Migrant Deaths

It certainly makes Border Patrol fanatics, deniers and Trump supporters look like a bunch of racist, sexist pigs. Deny it all you want - the rest of humanity sees what they see.
I guess her biggest accomplishment was screwing 25,000 New Yorkers out of good jobs. And ,once again ,you bring up "Race". Which is typical of Libs. Has nothing to do with her ethnic background. It is her STUPIDITY that bugs regular Americans.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
You just proved my point, lol. You're so very unselfaware.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
I guess her biggest accomplishment was screwing 25,000 New Yorkers out of good jobs. And ,once again ,you bring up "Race". Which is typical of Libs. Has nothing to do with her ethnic background. It is her STUPIDITY that bugs regular Americans.
Are you kidding? I'm a "typical lib?" Try again. She's not stupid - you and her detractors saying she is, does not count.