The Moral Case Against Trump’s Import Tariffs

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Free trade is seen as the domain of elites, but punishing select industries will hurt, not help, the everyman.
By Andrew Wilford

"The most important moral argument against protectionism is that tariffs and trade barriers reduce the economic freedom of consumers. Every time trade is restricted, the choices that Americans have when purchasing everyday goods are reduced. A tariff doesn’t just tax a foreign business importing a good; it taxes you for wanting to purchase a cheaper or better option that was made outside the United States. With so many Americans struggling to make ends meet, is it moral to demand that they pay more for needed items just to protect an industry against competition?"
"The same goes for businesses. Tariffs force companies small and large in industries that rely on inputs that are subjected to tariffs to spend more to create final products. This matters for more than just a business’s bottom line: reduced profits can lead to layoffs, or worse, businesses going bankrupt. How is it moral to protect some businesses or workers over others?"
"Tariffs, however, are not the solution. They are effectively taxes on American businesses or consumers that attempt to buy cheaper or better foreign-made goods, and are often a mechanism for corporate cronyism. Free trade is about more than just abstract economic theory; it is about not letting the government tell you what you have the right to buy for a reasonable price. Now it’s time for its advocates to stand up and point that out."

################################################################################

Wow! Imagine pointing to a CONSERVATIVE source that doesn't support Trump and his tariffs! Can you imagine if it had been coming from a Liberal source? Succinct and to the point this article is very well written and is well worth reading from start to finish.

Reactions: 1 person
Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Free trade is seen as the domain of elites, but punishing select industries will hurt, not help, the everyman.
By Andrew Wilford

Wow! Imagine pointing to a CONSERVATIVE source that doesn't support Trump and his tariffs! Can you imagine if it had been coming from a Liberal source? Succinct and to the point this article is very well written and is well worth reading from start to finish.
Why haven't leftists ever criticized labor unions for promoting protectionism and tariffs and opposing free trade and international agreements?

Reactions: 2 people
Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Why haven't leftists ever criticized labor unions for promoting protectionism and tariffs and opposing free trade and international agreements?
Why? Well here's a little history on the subject going back a few years to put this matter into better perspective with the union's position on things.

UNIONS DENY STAND OVER TRADE POLICY IS PROTECTIONISM
By STEVEN GREENHOUSE

"Nowadays, union leaders assert that they are open to trade expansion measures so long as those measures include core worker protections, like the right to form labor unions and a ban on child labor."
"They deny that these concerns are protectionist. ''We really have learned from the past that we have to have core labor standards in our trade agreements if they're going to benefit workers in the United States as well as workers in the countries that are our trading partners,'' said John J. Sweeney, the A.F.L.-C.I.O.'s president."

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Why? Well here's a little history on the subject going back a few years to put this matter into better perspective with the union's position on things.

UNIONS DENY STAND OVER TRADE POLICY IS PROTECTIONISM
By STEVEN GREENHOUSE
You dug up a laughable excuse that some union leaders made up 18 years ago and think that is a valid denial that unions have been protectionists for eons? The content of that link confirms they are protectionists. It cites numerous, repeated examples of unions obstructing and opposing trade deals, being quintessentially protectionist in their positions on trade, and then when called on the carpet for it, union leaders (18 years ago) simply claimed that all that protectionism somehow wasn't protectionism.

Name any interest group in the country that has been more reliably and vocally protectionist and critical of trade agreements and trade liberalization than labor unions.

Liberals who attack Trump on trade are hitting labor unions in the crossfire. When I point that out, the partisan left has to try to balk, pivot, deflect, because they have no coherent position on trade. They're either against Trump and unions on this issue, or they're with Trump and unions on this issue. If the left is pro-free trade after all, why aren't they ever critical of the anti-trade rhetoric labor unions have propagated?

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
You dug up a laughable excuse that some union leaders made up 18 years ago and think that is a valid denial that unions have been protectionists for eons? The content of that link confirms they are protectionists. It cites numerous, repeated examples of unions obstructing and opposing trade deals, being quintessentially protectionist in their positions on trade, and then when called on the carpet for it, union leaders (18 years ago) simply claimed that all that protectionism somehow wasn't protectionism.

Name any interest group in the country that has been more reliably and vocally protectionist and critical of trade agreements and trade liberalization than labor unions.

Liberals who attack Trump on trade are hitting labor unions in the crossfire. When I point that out, the partisan left has to try to balk, pivot, deflect, because they have no coherent position on trade. They're either against Trump and unions on this issue, or they're with Trump and unions on this issue. If the left is pro-free trade after all, why aren't they ever critical of the anti-trade rhetoric labor unions have propagated?
Your problem is that you simply don't like the union's position on the matter, any matter, no matter what they say. You are against unions period and should well admit it. But if you think that what the article was saying is somehow off balance thus, not to your liking, then you should be contacting the author who, no doubt, would tell you exactly what you can do with your partisan thinking.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Your problem is that you simply don't like the union's position on the matter, any matter, no matter what they say.
I don't have a problem. I simply delight in reminding liberals, Democrats, and union supporters that they have no consistency with one another on the trade issue.

So when I see liberals attack Trump for his stance on trade and tariffs, it proves too irresistable an opportunity to point out that liberals never extend that criticism to protectionism-loving unions.

Trump is President because union households voted for him. Union households voted for him because they found his aggressiveness against TPP and other trade deals to be genuine, believable, and real, whereas they believed Hillary was lying her ass off about it. So they gambled and voted for Trump thinking he might actually do protectionist things. Their bet paid off. They were right.

You are against unions period and should well admit it.
I do admit it, but the topic is trade. The problem of how to reconcile your criticism of Trump on trade with your unwillingness to extend any criticism to labor unions on the same issue is yours. I simply place it in your lap and watch you squirm.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
I don't have a problem. I simply delight in reminding liberals, Democrats, and union supporters that they have no consistency with one another on the trade issue.

So when I see liberals attack Trump for his stance on trade and tariffs, it proves too irresistable an opportunity to point out that liberals never extend that criticism to protectionism-loving unions.

Trump is President because union households voted for him. Union households voted for him because they found his aggressiveness against TPP and other trade deals to be genuine, believable, and real, whereas they believed Hillary was lying her ass off about it. So they gambled and voted for Trump thinking he might actually do protectionist things. Their bet paid off. They were right.

I do admit it, but the topic is trade. The problem of how to reconcile your criticism of Trump on trade with your unwillingness to extend any criticism to labor unions on the same issue is yours. I simply place it in your lap and watch you squirm.
I am not in the union. The union has spoken well for itself. There are those Liberals who can enter through the front door and engage in a fruitful conversation and talk sensibly and then there are those conservatives who will reply only through the back door and it's starting to smell bad in here.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
I am not in the union.
"The" union? Don't care. Not the point.

There are those Liberals who can enter through the front door and engage in a fruitful conversation and talk sensibly and then there are those conservatives who will reply only through the back door and it's starting to smell bad in here.
Not sure what you're talking about, but the point is your criticism of Trump on trade is hitting Democrats' most powerful interest group in the crossfire. Better reconcile that little problem before 2020, or it'll be 4 more years.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
"The" union? Don't care. Not the point.

Not sure what you're talking about, but the point is your criticism of Trump on trade is hitting Democrats' most powerful interest group in the crossfire. Better reconcile that little problem before 2020, or it'll be 4 more years.
:) You only wish! :) At least you are good for a laugh or two. But I can't be rubbing the partisan drool off your chin each time you post in a tit-for-tat conversation. I have better things to do and other threads to look into than to waste time with one who simply doesn't want to accept things as they are and as the union, the prime authority and the one that should know the best on this matter, has declared it to be.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
:) You only wish! :) At least you are good for a laugh or two. But I can't be rubbing the partisan drool off your chin each time you post in a tit-for-tat conversation. I have better things to do and other threads to look into than to waste time with one who simply doesn't want to accept things as they are and as the union, the prime authority and the one that should know the best on this matter, has declared it to be.
Who likes tariffs? Generally speaking, it's not the same people who like Trump - CNNMoney

The people who like the sort of tariffs that President Donald Trump just proposed on steel and aluminum generally aren't the same folks who like him.
Who likes the kinds of tariffs that President Donald Trump has proposed on steel and aluminum? Usually it's groups that are pretty critical of the Trump administration.

For example, the United Steelworkers union and the AFL-CIO were among the strongest supporters of the proposal. Both unions opposed Trump during the election, and both have fought most of his administration's efforts, such as tax reform.

"For too long, our political leaders have talked about the problem, but have largely left enforcement of our trade laws up to the private sector," said the Steelworkers' statement. "This is not what hard-working Americans want from their government."

AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka echoed those sentiments. "We applaud the administration's efforts to fix this problem."
Trump's tariffs make him labor unions' man of steel – VICE News
Steel and Aluminum Tariffs Good for Working People - AFL-CIO
Canada’s unions applaud counter-tariffs, welcome support for steel and aluminum workers

Last edited: