The Most Depressing Movie You've Ever Seen?

May 2019
The Wine Country
For a long time I always thought the most depressing movie I'd ever seen was The Pawnbroker, Sidney Lumet's relentlessly grim film starring Rod Steiger.

But the other night, for the first time in years, I watched They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Good Lord ...

It was like being beaten with a sock filled with wet sand.

shoothorses_poster.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 2015
Florida
For a long time I always thought the most depressing movie I'd ever seen was The Pawnbroker, Sidney Lumet's relentlessly grim film starring Rod Steiger.

But the other night, for the first time in years, I watched They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Good Lord ...

You gotta consider the time. It was a damn good movie.

CtC

Mar 2019
California

Good Lord ...

I thought "Soylent Green" was pretty depressing. Good flick. But the subject was pretty grim.

Nov 2013
None of your business

Good Lord ...

I don't really think I've gotten depressed from any movie, but the Killing Fields? that final scene, gets me in my gut, every time,

Also the dying scene in Philadelphia,,

the killing fields renion scene - - Video Search Results

May 2019
midwest

Good Lord ...

I saw it only once...didn't care to see it ever again. The Depression is depressing.
:cool:

Best Actress (for Fonda)

Reactions: BarKnuckles
Jul 2015
Florida
Never understood the desire to pay to get yourself depressed?
I feel 'compelled' to watch the NON-FICTION ones, even if sad/depressing/truth telling. I've watched SCHINDLER'S LIST and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN once each. I did my duty. Maybe a decade from now I'll watch 'em again.
I thought "Soylent Green" was pretty depressing. Good flick. But the subject was pretty grim.
Yes. I had forgotten about it.

I feel 'compelled' to go see non-fiction type historical movies. Schindler's and Private Ryan come to mind. I saw each ONCE and did my civic duty. Maybe I can watch them again in another decade or 2 down the road.

Schindlers, though the subject matter was incomprehensible, was a beautiful movie. It was brilliantly done.