The "Obama Missed Daily Security Briefings" Lie

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
I haven't seen this elsewhere, and it seems like an important point to me. One criticism of Obama recently is that he 'misses' the 'daily briefings' on national security. More than half the time. Turns out, this is an outright falsehood, perpetrated by a former member of the Bush administration:
About the same time, the Republican National Committee and prominent Republicans such as Dick Cheney and John McCain threw another faulty bit of plumbing at Obama: that the president “does not attend his daily intelligence meeting” more than half the time, in contrast to George W. Bush, who “almost never missed his daily intelligence meeting.” This claim was the work of former Bush speechwriter Marc Thiessen, who writes a weekly online column for The Washington Post.

In reality, Obama didn’t “attend” these meetings, because there were no meetings to attend: The oral briefings had been mostly replaced by daily exchanges in which Obama reads the materials and poses written questions and comments to intelligence officials. This is how it was done in the Clinton administration, before Bush decided he would prefer to read less. Bush’s results — Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction, and the failure to find Osama bin Laden — suggest this was not an obvious improvement.
Dana Milbank: Mitt Romney’s bucket brigade - The Washington Post

Okay, so the presentation is a little snarky, but if Obama prefers to get his information in writing and to ask his questions in writing (just as Clinton did), what's wrong with that?

Does anyone have information that contradicts this claim?

Sep 2011
Not the South, thank God
meanwhile Bush IGNORED daily security briefings about Al Qaeda attacks on the USA..until it was too late.

Apr 2011
Under your skin
I haven't seen this elsewhere, and it seems like an important point to me. One criticism of Obama recently is that he 'misses' the 'daily briefings' on national security. More than half the time. Turns out, this is an outright falsehood, perpetrated by a former member of the Bush administration: Dana Milbank: Mitt Romney’s bucket brigade - The Washington Post

Okay, so the presentation is a little snarky, but if Obama prefers to get his information in writing and to ask his questions in writing (just as Clinton did), what's wrong with that?

Does anyone have information that contradicts this claim?
Why don't we ask Obama himself? Let me find him really quick.

FOUND HIM!

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
Jesus Hussein Christ. Is there no lie these people won't repeat to disparage the President. Again, if he were as bad as they claim, all they would have to do is tell the truth about him and not resort to lies. He must be the best damned president ever!

Apr 2011
Under your skin
Oh, that was very helpful. Wanna compare Bush's vacation days with Obama's?
That wouldn't be possible. Obama doesn't count his golf days as vacation days. I have it on good council that he just calls in sick and turns his phone off.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Fortunately, his lies are so transparent and unbelievable that we can only assume he's being ironic.

In any case, we still haven't seen anything like a counter-claim to the OP.