The Ocasio-Cortez 'Green New Deal' Is Even Shoddier and More Absurd Than You Thought

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
Loony doesn't go far enough in explaining this insanity.

On Thursday, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) unveiled her much-vaunted "Geen New Deal," and it's even worse than you expected. Among other absurd things, it calls for abolishing cows, nuclear energy, and airplanes, "upgrading all existing buildings in the United States," guaranteeing "high-quality health care" for all Americans, and spreading the Green New Deal to other countries. Oh, and it isn't even technically a bill.

Ocasio-Cortez leaked a copy of the "Green New Deal" to National Public Radio (NPR), and her slipshod work in progress is a resolution. Rather than making law, the resolution states the "sense of the House of Representatives."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) slammed the proposal Wednesday, saying, "The green dream or whatever they call it, nobody knows what it is, but they're for it right?"

The resolution does not lay out specific plans but calls on Congress to "create a Green New Deal," which will consist of a "10-year national mobilization" yet to be determined.

The Ocasio-Cortez 'Green New Deal' Is Even Shoddier and More Absurd Than You Thought

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
If I had to guess Pelosi wont allow this one for a vote. There are three other competing Green bills. They messed with the wrong person when they protested inside her office.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
"Quite frankly I haven't seen it, but I do know that it's enthusiastic, and we welcome all the enthusiasm that's out there," she said at her weekly news conference. "I'm very excited about it all, and I welcome the Green New Deal and any other proposals."

None of this necessarily suggests that there is an any animosity between Pelosi and Ocasio-Cortez. Rather, what Pelosi's comment about the "Green New Deal" represents is that the speaker wants to make very clear how things work in the House. AOC may be a star nationally, but in the House she is just a very junior member of Pelosi's majority -- albeit it one with a larger-than-normal megaphone on issues close to her.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/politics/pelosi-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-green-new-deal/index.html

This is exactly how the Speaker should respond.

Dec 2018
Florida
And those on the green side wonder why republicans don’t listen? Shit like this.

You want me to go green? Make it cost effecfive. Period. That is the only way it will ever work.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
I will say the part about banning cows and eventually banning airplanes - Yeah no

But there are good "ideas" in that "bill" as well

Remains to be seen what will happen, but you have to propose something first to start the conversation.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The worst thing that could happen to Ocasio Cortez is that Bernie Sanders is her mentor. He is influencing her in ways he shouldnt. I have a feeling she would be more patient and willing to learn if he wasnt in the picture. Saw her holding a "Bernie 2020" sign today.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
And those on the green side wonder why republicans don’t listen? Shit like this.

You want me to go green? Make it cost effecfive. Period. That is the only way it will ever work.
Unfortunately, you're right. But you are dismissing the massive job opportunities that would be associated with it that would be economically beneficial to the entire country. And we get a benefit from reduced greenhouse gasses. It's a win-win.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Unfortunately, you're right. But you are dismissing the massive job opportunities that would be associated with it that would be economically beneficial to the entire country. And we get a benefit from reduced greenhouse gasses. It's a win-win.
Yes but there are also aspects like the carbon tax where blue collar jobs would get hit the hardest. We just saw that in France with the Yellow Jacket protesters. We dont need that here right before a big election.