The other great divide

Jan 2015
Left coast
I have made multiple posts depicting the great schism in American political views based on Republican-Democrat, men-women, more educated-less educated and so on.

But this election and doing some studying of the Axios interactive maps really hit home a big one, the rural-urban split.

And again, here we see the result. Them farmers got power.

Jan 2014
California
I have made multiple posts depicting the great schism in American political views based on Republican-Democrat, men-women, more educated-less educated and so on.

But this election and doing some studying of the Axios interactive maps really hit home a big one, the rural-urban split.

Mr. RNG,

Doesn't really mean anything. Most of the Senate seats were defended in hugely blue states, and in California, 6.3M votes, almost 2/3 of the entire difference, went to Democrats because it was illegal for a Republican to run.

Sorry to ruin what you thought was a good premise....;)

May 2012
By the wall

I don't get your point.

Jun 2007
Ohio

I saw that today in looking at the maps for how people voted in Ohio.

The fact Sherrod Brown won handily but we ended up with a Republican governor. And it showed how nothing flipped Congressionally. We're locked in.

Jan 2014
California
I think he's referring to the fact that the every state has two senators, which means people in more populous areas are under-represented.

Why should CA with 39 million people have the same representation as Wyoming with little over a half a million?
Ms. Blueneck,

Please refer to a little thing we like to call "The US Constitution."

Jun 2007
Ohio

Hey, @RNG can you post more on this?

Jan 2014
California
Okay. But the Constitution had to be amended to give equal rights to blacks and women. Maybe it's also outdated in other ways...?
Ms. Blueneck,

There are specific reasons for why every state has 2 Senators. At the time of the signing of the Constitution, the smaller states were concerned that larger, richer states would rule over them. The requirement for assignment of the Senate was one of the checks and balances to prevent that. I can't see that it is outdated in any way because the concerns of the smaller states are still valid.