The Pence Rule. Respecting your marriage but also protecting yourself in the #metoo era

The Pence Rule

• Wise decision in today's era

• Misognynistic, antiquated and bigoted

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 2019
Portland, OR
We've all heard about the Pence Rule by now. Mike Pence is a Christian guy, he wants to honor and protect his marriage and protect the feelings of the woman he loves. He won't eat alone with another woman who is not his wife.

Not everyone goes to the extent he does, but I admire him for standing firm on those things.

There are many men who do use their status to have affairs and sexually abuse women. Some men also spend to much time with a woman at work, which leads to many affairs and divorces today. At the same time, there are also women who will falsely accuse men for sexual harassment as well.

Many politicians, entertainers, athletes, regular Joes don't follow this. Leftists like Joy Behar of the View put up a fuss over this. Others on the left have the argument that this is not fair to women in the workplace. Sheryl Sandberg: If you follow the Mike Pence rule, make it fair to women

I think it's wise for Pence to do this. This practice can make Mike Pence bulletproof in the #metoo era. As we've seen Joe Biden recently get in trouble for not having boundaries with other girls and women. Especially in the climate today.

What do you say of this Political Hotwire? Discuss
Nobody had a problem with Pence's marriage. They have a problem with him having a problem with marriages that are different from his.

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
Nobody had a problem with Pence's marriage. They have a problem with him having a problem with marriages that are different from his.
A whole lot of leftists have problems with Mike Pence not eating or being alone with another woman not his wife.

This woman thinks the Pence rule, not eating alone with another woman, would have more adverse effects than actual sexual abuse on women.

Mar 2019
Portland, OR
A whole lot of leftists have problems with Mike Pence not eating or being alone with another woman not his wife.

This woman thinks the Pence rule, not eating alone with another woman, would have more adverse effects than actual sexual abuse on women.

I think Pence is taking things a little too far not eating with women. I don't even see most evangelicals doing this. If he can't trust himself to keep his vows, then I guess he has to do what he has to do. But I'd hate to be a woman in his staff.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
We've all heard about the Pence Rule by now. Mike Pence is a Christian guy, he wants to honor and protect his marriage and protect the feelings of the woman he loves. He won't eat alone with another woman who is not his wife.

Not everyone goes to the extent he does, but I admire him for standing firm on those things.

There are many men who do use their status to have affairs and sexually abuse women. Some men also spend to much time with a woman at work, which leads to many affairs and divorces today. At the same time, there are also women who will falsely accuse men for sexual harassment as well.

Many politicians, entertainers, athletes, regular Joes don't follow this. Leftists like Joy Behar of the View put up a fuss over this. Others on the left have the argument that this is not fair to women in the workplace. Sheryl Sandberg: If you follow the Mike Pence rule, make it fair to women

I think it's wise for Pence to do this. This practice can make Mike Pence bulletproof in the #metoo era. As we've seen Joe Biden recently get in trouble for not having boundaries with other girls and women. Especially in the climate today.

If you see women as such threats, you don't know much about women.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with the Pence rule in ANY era, so long as you don't do a lot of serious business over meals. Surely there are other moments in the day when one can interact seriously with people in your own organization. Humans being human, precluding any special relationship by not being private with people you might be attracted to sounds like common sense.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
I think Pence is taking things a little too far not eating with women. I don't even see most evangelicals doing this. If he can't trust himself to keep his vows, then I guess he has to do what he has to do. But I'd hate to be a woman in his staff.
He doesn't eat ALONE with women other than his wife. That means him and one other woman, at dinner or lunch. He doesn't do that.

Jun 2014
United States
Also another way to be bulletproof in the #metoo era is to simply not be inappropriate with women. But to each their own.

Bingo. I couldn't care less, personally, with whom Mike Pence chooses to dine. That said, worrying about being accused of sexual abuse is simply not an issue for me.

Mar 2019
Portland, OR
He doesn't eat ALONE with women other than his wife. That means him and one other woman, at dinner or lunch. He doesn't do that.
What about his sister or his daughter? What if he had a business lunch with a congresswoman? What about older women or women obviously far younger than him and married? Its a little strange to me, but again he can do what he wants I guess.

Dec 2015
SoCal

What's his stance on pussy-grabbing?

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
What about his sister or his daughter?
I doubt they are included. Is this a serious question?
What if he had a business lunch with a congresswoman?
How about a non-lunch meeting instead? Or include at least one aide.
What about older women or women obviously far younger than him and married?
It's a rule. You think he should distinguish in a public way which women he's attracted to? Yeah, that'll work.
Its a little strange to me, but again he can do what he wants I guess.
I'm not saying it should be a law.