The Prince kissed Snow White without consent?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Bad lessons from fairy tales?

Kristen Bell reads every night to daughters Lincoln, 5, and Delta, 3. "It's truly my favorite part of the day," Bell says. "I glance away from the book and see their brains working while we're all cuddled up like meerkats." But the ladies don't just read, they discuss—especially classic Disney storylines.

"Every time we close Snow White I look at my girls and ask, "Don't you think that it's weird that the prince kisses Snow White without her permission?" Bell says she has asked her daughters. "Because you can not kiss someone if they're sleeping!"

Bell isn’t the only actress to take issue with Disney characters lately. Earlier this week Keira Knightley revealed that she prohibits her 3-year-old daughter, Edie, from watching certain animated classics. “Cinderella, banned because she waits around for a rich guy to rescue her,” she told Ellen DeGeneres during a recent visit to the talk show program. “Don’t. Rescue yourself, obviously.”
Knightley said she's a little irked by another movie, too. “This is the one that I’m quite annoyed about because I really like the film, but ‘Little Mermaid,’" she said. "I mean, the songs are great, but do not give your voice up for a man. Hello!”

Bell herself is working on a children's book, and the process has made her appreciate how far children's literature has come. Bell has old books from her childhood, courtesy of her mom, and says those are often outdated.

Kristen Bell thinks 'Snow White' teaches kids a bad lesson — here's why
Kristen Bell Worries Disney Princesses Teach Her Daughters Bad Lessons | Parents

Nov 2010

Kristen Bell reads every night to daughters Lincoln, 5, and Delta, 3. "It's truly my favorite part of the day," Bell says. "I glance away from the book and see their brains working while we're all cuddled up like meerkats." But the ladies don't just read, they discuss—especially classic Disney storylines.

"Every time we close Snow White I look at my girls and ask, "Don't you think that it's weird that the prince kisses Snow White without her permission?" Bell says she has asked her daughters. "Because you can not kiss someone if they're sleeping!"

Bell isn’t the only actress to take issue with Disney characters lately. Earlier this week Keira Knightley revealed that she prohibits her 3-year-old daughter, Edie, from watching certain animated classics. “Cinderella, banned because she waits around for a rich guy to rescue her,” she told Ellen DeGeneres during a recent visit to the talk show program. “Don’t. Rescue yourself, obviously.”
Knightley said she's a little irked by another movie, too. “This is the one that I’m quite annoyed about because I really like the film, but ‘Little Mermaid,’" she said. "I mean, the songs are great, but do not give your voice up for a man. Hello!”

Bell herself is working on a children's book, and the process has made her appreciate how far children's literature has come. Bell has old books from her childhood, courtesy of her mom, and says those are often outdated.

Kristen Bell Worries Disney Princesses Teach Her Daughters Bad Lessons | Parents
Although there is a point, its a bit ridiculous. those fairy tales are very old, so of course things are going to be a lot different than today's standards.

But then again, movies and TV should not be the ones teaching right and wrong, its for entertainment. Parents should do their job of teaching kids,. ANd you can use watching it to teach them its not OK to do something in real life

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Although there is a point, its a bit ridiculous. those fairy tales are very old, so of course things are going to be a lot different than today's standards.

But then again, movies and TV should not be the ones teaching right and wrong, its for entertainment. Parents should do their job of teaching kids,. ANd you can use watching it to teach them its not OK to do something in real life
Agree. Although I do think asking for consent for kissing really takes the romance out of things. Its one thing if a coworker or stranger tries to kiss you but if you are out on a date I kind of would expect it. I dont want to make everything like a lawyer is there with us. :)

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida

Somebody should also look into God getting an already married Mary pregnant with or without her consent.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

If it's your wife/girlfriend and you are simply expressing your love, sure you can. WTF...

That's just stupid...

Nov 2010
Agree. Although I do think asking for consent for kissing really takes the romance out of things. Its one thing if a coworker or stranger tries to kiss you but if you are out on a date I kind of would expect it. I dont want to make everything like a lawyer is there with us. :)
true, and I doubt people could claim harrassment or assault from trying to kiss someone, as long as when they say no you stop.It's not like prince charming was groping her

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Much more important lesson for young people should be about the potential CONSEQUENCES of going around, carelessly having unprotected relations with the opposite gender. Especially - pregnancy for the girls. But also, you know, STDs and such, which can happen to either gender...

I sure as hell could have benefited from that back in the day... As it were, ended up living behind a son in Moscow, whose existence I only would learn about years later, as now an adult, on the other side of the God damned planet...