The Risk Of Tipping Into A 'Hothouse Earth' State Is Rising

Jan 2016
Colorado
Spaceship Earth is in trouble:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180806152040.htm

This report outlines several positive feedback loops that might tip the Earth towards much more substantial warming, even if we were to completely stop emitting greenhouse gases. Should be a wake-up call.

From the link:

The authors of the study consider ten natural feedback processes, some of which are "tipping elements" that lead to abrupt change if a critical threshold is crossed. These feedbacks could turn from being a "friend" that stores carbon to a "foe" that emits it uncontrollably in a warmer world. These feedbacks are: permafrost thaw, loss of methane hydrates from the ocean floor, weakening land and ocean carbon sinks, increasing bacterial respiration in the oceans, Amazon rainforest dieback, boreal forest dieback, reduction of northern hemisphere snow cover, loss of Arctic summer sea ice, and reduction of Antarctic sea ice and polar ice sheets.

Reactions: 4 people
Jan 2018
The greatest place in America, California
I believe we have passed the point of no return in greenhouse gases.

Reactions: 2 people
Jan 2016
Colorado
I believe we have passed the point of no return in greenhouse gases.
Rather amazing there's so little concern about this, though. I mean, we're all on a runaway train, there's a cliff coming up dead ahead, and we're all arguing and gossiping about trivial and picayune issues.

Nov 2010
San Diego...ish
Spaceship Earth is in trouble:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180806152040.htm

This report outlines several positive feedback loops that might tip the Earth towards much more substantial warming, even if we were to completely stop emitting greenhouse gases. Should be a wake-up call.

From the link:

The authors of the study consider ten natural feedback processes, some of which are "tipping elements" that lead to abrupt change if a critical threshold is crossed. These feedbacks could turn from being a "friend" that stores carbon to a "foe" that emits it uncontrollably in a warmer world. These feedbacks are: permafrost thaw, loss of methane hydrates from the ocean floor, weakening land and ocean carbon sinks, increasing bacterial respiration in the oceans, Amazon rainforest dieback, boreal forest dieback, reduction of northern hemisphere snow cover, loss of Arctic summer sea ice, and reduction of Antarctic sea ice and polar ice sheets.
I own a very fast convertible and a pool out in the middle of the SoCal dessert...I think that I will be ok.

Nov 2010
San Diego...ish
Rather amazing there's so little concern about this, though. I mean, we're all on a runaway train, there's a cliff coming up dead ahead, and we're all arguing and gossiping about trivial and picayune issues.
There was a study done not so long ago about how placing a large number of windmills off of the coast of the eastern US would be able to power the entire east coast. Who stopped this from happening?

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
There was a study done not so long ago about how placing a large number of windmills off of the coast of the eastern US would be able to power the entire east coast. Who stopped this from happening?
The same people that blocked offshore drilling in Florida...NIMBY

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
There's never much concern about doomsday hypotheses because there's so little we can realistically do. Especially when the scientists are saying "even if we stop emitting greenhouse gases." That by itself is an extremely tall order. How do we get humans worldwide to "stop emitting greenhouse gases," when we depend on doing so for global agriculture and commerce? So even if we achieve the ridiculously impossible, we still probably cannot avoid these positive feedback loops.

Using your analogy, we're more like amoebas on a runaway train than people on a runaway train. People built the train and should have some ability to control what it does. We don't have that kind of control over Earth's climate.

Last edited:
Jan 2016
Colorado
People don't care because they know it's bullshit. Climate alarmist have cried wolf far too many times.

Prognostication after prognostication after prognostication have all flopped. None have come true.

It's nothing more than bullshit. Period. Thinking people understand this.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1675/most-important-problem.aspx
Ho-hum. Just another all-too-typical American scientific illiterate. Yawn.

Scientific illiteracy: The Achilles' heel that is KILLING America.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
There's never much concern about doomsday hypotheses because there's so little we can realistically do. Especially when the scientists are saying "even if we stop emitting greenhouse gases." That by itself is an extremely tall order. How do we get humans worldwide to "stop emitting greenhouse gases," when we depend on doing so for global agriculture and commerce? So even if we achieve the ridiculously impossible, we still probably cannot avoid these positive feedback loops.

Using your analogy, we're more like amoebas on a runaway train than people on a runaway train. People built the train and should have some ability to control what it does. We don't have that kind of control over Earth's climate.
India plants 66 million trees in 12 hours as part of record-breaking environmental campaign