The Saudis

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
When they stop having the ability to cause global energy issues by being a member of OPEC.
But we don't even fucking need them. North America has tons of own oil, between Canada (Alberta), Alaska, plus of shore in Texas and such, Gulf of Mexico. We can easily sustain ourselves without those bastards. We really should say, fuck you, and turn away from them, ASAP.

Reactions: Blueneck
Dec 2018
Florida
But we don't even fucking need them. North America has tons of own oil, between Canada (Alberta), Alaska, plus of shore in Texas and such, Gulf of Mexico. We can easily sustain ourselves without those bastards. We really should say, fuck you, and turn away from them, ASAP.
They impact price per barrel because of all the nations in OPEC. I mean I’m oversimplifying, but the 70s oil crisis was a big deal. And while we did things to help mitigate, it could become a real problem

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
They impact price per barrel because of all the nations in OPEC. I mean I’m oversimplifying, but the 70s oil crisis was a big deal. And while we did things to help mitigate, it could become a real problem
What would they do? Devalue oil?

That would hurt them way more than us. It would hurt maybe Russia too, and Iran, because their economies also depend so much on oil sales.

Ours - far less so.

For us, maybe it would mean cheaper gas at the pump.

Not really such a terrible thing, is it? ;)

Aug 2018
Vancouver
It's a messy/complex world.

Saudi Arabia is a key player in the oversight and management of the world's oil supply. Very critical role. The barbarism of their culture has been the standard for centuries. We sell them all the ordinance because US manufacturing makes a lot of money....and if we didn't supply the products then other nations would provide it to them instead.

So the US and SA play nice together and call ourselves "allies". Our policies with countries in the middle-east are basically designed to make the best of an unattractive situation.

Sometimes we just do what we gotta do....

It's funny.

Canada's arms sales to Saudi Arabia are excused because "if we didn't sell to them then other nations would". And France and Germany's sales to them are explained to outraged voters there as "well if we don't sell to them then some other nation would" .

Everyone's saying "if we don't sell to them then these other guys would" .

Why am I the only one who sees the obvious solution here?

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Do you suppose, if Hitler simply refrained from attacking other countries, and instead just went on with his Final Solution of the Jews (and Romas, homosexuals, etc) only within the recognized borders of Germany, the West, including US, would keep on doing business with him like nothing is happening? I am genuinely curious. I know Henry Ford, for one, liked the Nazis...
We did not enter the war to save the Jews or anyone else.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Had he stayed within the boundaries of Germany? What would Hitler have ever done, without going to war against his neighbors, that was worse than the run-of-the-mill behavior of the Saudis? Besides, the Saudis aren't exactly keeping their bullshit within their own borders here lately, are they?
genocide Jews and other undesirables, perhaps?

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
It's funny.

Canada's arms sales to Saudi Arabia are excused because "if we didn't sell to them then other nations would". And France and Germany's sales to them are explained to outraged voters there as "well if we don't sell to them then some other nation would" .

Everyone's saying "if we don't sell to them then these other guys would" .

Why am I the only one who sees the obvious solution here?
Okay. Don't think it's likely that there wouldn't be someone step up as an arms provider to the Saudis, but lets say that happened. The world collectively cut them off from all those advance military ordinance sales. (Not really sure how connected the military toys are to the tyrant style control of the country anyhoo.)

Sharia law and barbaric cultural customs have been the norm in much of the mid-east for centuries. Fact is that the Muslim religion has some pretty harsh rules in a number of countries/places. Into Africa and Asia. Monarchs and religious leaders get way with things that we in the West consider abhorrent (although on the plus side the crime rates are waaaay low.)

What actions do think US Presidents (or Canadian) should take to change these entrenched cultures? What would you do if you were in charge??

Reactions: The Man