The Smear

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
And because conspiracy theories are fun, I am going to share this little sequence of events.

1) DNC reveals that their servers have been hacked (June 2016)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-russia-investigation-timeline/

2) Wikileaks disclosures from the DNC (July 22, 2016)

https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/

2) The start of the original Russian meddling investigation (July 2016)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-russia-investigation-timeline/

3) Trump accepts the nomination of his party to run for the position of POTUS (July 21, 2016)

Conspiracy theory: The entire Russian meddling investigation was conceived and executed by the Obama administration and elements of the FBI to divert attention away from the treasure trove of documentation that showed that the DNC was knee deep in a smear campaign against any and all opponents of Hillary Clinton. The entire thing was a wag-the-dog diversionary strategy. Get everybody jazzed about the Russians and keep their eyes off the hacks of the DNC servers.

GOWDY: What do you think the “it” is in that phrase “we’ll stop it”?

HOROWITZ: Oh, I think it’s clear in the context it’s we’re gonna stop him from becoming president.

GOWDY: That’s what I thought too. Now, I wonder who the “we” is in the “we’ll stop it.” Who do you think the “we” is?

HOROWITZ: Well, I think that’s probably subject to multiple interpretations — them or a broader group beyond that.

GOWDY: How about “finish it”? When he said, “I unleashed it. Now I need to fix it and finish it,” what do you think he meant by “finish it”?

HOROWITZ: I think in the context of the emails that occurred in August, the prior August that you outlined, I think a reasonable explanation that or a reasonable inference of that is that he believed he would use or potentially use his official authority to take action.

GOWDY: Did you ever have an agent when you were a prosecutor with this level of bias?

HOROWITZ: My view of this was that this was extremely serious, completely antithetical to the core values. In my personal view having been a prosecutor and worked with FBI agents, I can’t imagine FBI agents suggesting, even, that they might use their powers to investigate, frankly, any candidate for any office.

GOWDY: Well, I can’t either. I am struggling to find a better example of outcome-determinative bias than that. So what am I missing?

HOROWITZ: Well, I think, uh, that certainly with regard to the, uh, Russia investigation you mentioned, as you know, we are looking at that in an ongoing way.
http://www.mostdamagingwikileaks.com/

Last edited:

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
This is an example of the "just the facts" attitude that journalists used to cling to. If you watch the number of times Atkkisson refuses to take a position or draw a conclusion in this May 2018 interview, you will see the kind of restrictions news people used to put on themselves. This interview is also sort of an update on her career and the book that is the subject of this thread.

[video]https://www.c-span.org/video/?444907-5/washington-journal-sharyl-attkisson-discusses-state-journalism[/video]

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
A Q&A with the author on Sinclair, her lawsuit against the DOJ and an overview on fake news.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sharyl-attkisson-fake-news-propaganda-sinclair-rumors-q-a-1038707

What's the latest on your computers at CBS being hacked?

At CBS and my personal computers, I've had a federal lawsuit against the Department of Justice pending for two-and-a-half years. We had a hearing about two weeks ago. We've survived, so far, all the government's attempts to have it dismissed. We're still trying to get discovery giving us information on who had access to the IP address owned by the government that was found in my CBS computer.

Even though you're accusing the DOJ under Obama of hacking you, the Trump DOJ isn't helping you?

Not that I know of. I started working as a journalist under Bush, then Clinton, then Bush, then Obama. Every time there's a change, I used to think, "Now they'll shake the tree loose and my FOIA requests will be answered and there will be more transparency." But what I've learned is that these mid-level bureaucrats who are nameless and faceless and who people don't know — they persist from administration to administration and nothing much changes. I've continued to be stonewalled under the Trump administration.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Timelines on the Russian investigation, both recommended by the author and one by the author.

The Russia investigation and Donald Trump: a timeline

Analysis | A (so far) complete timeline of the investigation into Trump and Russia

“Collusion against Trump” timeline | Sharyl Attkisson

A few items that run counter to the popular media narrative.

• Anti-Russian Ukrainians allegedly helped coordinate and execute a campaign against Trump in partnership with the Democratic National Committee and news reporters.
  • A Yemen-born ex-British spy reportedly delivered political opposition research against Trump to reporters, Sen. John McCain, and the FBI; the latter of which used the material–in part–to obtain wiretaps against one or more Trump-related associates.
  • There were orchestrated leaks of anti-Trump information and allegations to the press, including by ex-FBI Director James Comey.
  • The U.S. intel community allegedly engaged in questionable surveillance practices and politially-motivated “unmaskings” of U.S. citizens, including Trump officials.
  • Alleged conflicts of interests have surfaced regarding FBI officials who cleared Hillary Clinton for mishandling classified information and who investigated Trump’s alleged Russia ties.
Obama officials vastly expand their searches through NSA database for Americans and the content of their communications. In 2013, there were 9,600 searches involving 195 Americans. But in 2016, there are 30,355 searches of 5,288 Americans.
March 25, 2016: Ukrainian-American operative for Democratic National Committee (DNC) Chalupa meets with top Ukrainian officials at Ukrainian Embassy in Washington D.C. to “expose ties between Trump, top campaign aide Paul Manafort and Russia,” according to Politico. Chalupa previously worked for the Clinton administration.

Ukrainian embassy proceeds to work “directly with reporters researching Trump, Manafort and Russia to point them in the right directions,” according to an embassy official (though other officials later deny engaging in election-related activities.)
April 2016: There’s a second breach of Democratic National Committee computers.

Washington Free Beacon breaks off deal with Glenn Simpson’s Fusion GPS for political opposition research against Trump.

Clinton campaign and Democratic National Committee lawyer Mark Elias and his law firm, Perkins Coie, hire Fusion GPS for anti-Trump political research project.

Ukrainian member of parliament Olga Bielkova reportedly seeks meetings with five dozen members of U.S. Congress and reporters including former New York Time reporter Judy Miller, David Sanger of New York Times, David Ignatius of Washington Post, and Washington Post editorial page editor Fred Hiatt.

Last edited:

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Atkkisson on Kavanaugh...

Kavanaugh case opens door to dangerous range of accusations

The most difficult part is the reality that some of the charges will be true and some will be false. Some targets will be deserving of the scrutiny and some will not. Some accusations will be genuine and some will be politically motivated. Some will be provable and some will be impossible to corroborate. And, depending on who has the most power or the best ability to gain the public sympathy, there will be times that corroborated allegations against some figures will be conveniently ignored or dismissed, while the thinnest innuendo against others will be treated as if it’s a proven crime.

And many will be smeared.

In today’s environment, I don’t have the answers as to how the Kavanaugh case could have or should have been handled differently to account for both the possibility that the accuser is telling the truth and the possibility that Kavanaugh has been falsely accused. But we have lurched into new territory, indeed.

Fasten your seat belts.
Quoted for Truth.

Nov 2010
Based on the fact that she has a weekly show on the Sinclair Broadcasting Network, and the description of her recent activities in her Wikipedia bio, I question her political neutrality.
Typical of hacks like that, they project. Sinclair is the king of fake news, look at the shit they are pushing on local news networks. Fucking assholes