The Social Media Unemployment Line

Jun 2014
United States
We're not discussing employers hacking into accounts. These people didn't limit it, it was out there and other people were able to see it.

I agree that when something like this happens, the person is responsible for their own behavior. I am only opposed to undue privacy violations.

Sep 2014
South FL
An employee of course represents a MAJOR risk though. That's the reality.

[video=youtube;D9tP9fI2zbE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tP9fI2zbE[/video]

I remember when the librarian was a much older woman.
Kindly, discreet, unattractive.
We didn't know anything about her private life.
We didn't want to know anything about her private life.
She didn't HAVE a private life.

Last edited:

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Prying into private social media accounts of employees, random drug testing, some business won't even consider hiring smokers, even if they only smoke while not at work, etc.
So, I take it you aren't informed on this.
Smokers are not a protected class. H Ross Perot never hired smokers at EDS. Think about it, why would you want to hire someone that has such a filthy habit? Someone that makes such poor decisions with their own life? And now, since the ACA imposes a surcharge upon smokers it is easy to determine who smokes.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
In fact they do. Federal employees can be suspended or terminated for things they post while not on duty. Neither is this ability limited to government service.
Believing an employer should be free to decide whether or not they want to continue employing someone after they post something publicly is not the same as believing employers should control anything a person does while not on the job.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm always curious about the local impact of, as well as the local angle, when a local story breaks national.
The weird thing is that there is now more outrage over her comments and firing than the horrible shooting that brought on her comments.