The Social Media Unemployment Line

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
The control comes from the probability that action will be taken - and that fact alone is being argued. And with a whole thread of examples, it's common sense to common sense folks that action will be taken. Where there is a threat of action, there is control.
Are there any examples of things done purely in private that are resulting in termination? Peoples houses being bugged, computers being hacked, by their employers and then those private things are made public by the employer as an excuse to terminate them?

Posting things publicly online with your identity publicly visible is not something done in private. It is done with the intention to be public.

Oct 2013
Ohio

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Fox Sports Reporter Emily Austen Fired After 'Insensitive Comments' About Race | Bleacher Report

Fox Sports cut ties with Tampa Bay Rays and Orlando Magic sideline reporter Emily Austen after she made "insensitive comments" on a Facebook live stream with Barstool Sports, per Tom Jones of the Tampa Bay Times.

Austen called Cleveland Cavaliers forward Kevin Love "a little bitch" several times, noted she "didn't even know Mexicans were that smart" and said the "Chinese guy is always the smartest guy in math class."

-----

It's 2016 and this stuff just keeps happening. :D

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
All it would take for any reasonable employer to kick your ass to the curb would be a few minutes looking at your posts here on PH. Your filthy habits of abusing the welfare system and putting down those who apply for welfare benefits speak VOLUMES about your character (or lack thereof).
There is no question that the government promotes welfare and does not go out of its way to make sure recipients aren't able bodied, unattached, LAZY losers.

Welfare for those who are truly needy is called a safety net.

Welfare for others needs to be strictly challenged and controlled.

Welfare should not be a lifestyle choice.

Jun 2010
There is no question that the government promotes welfare and does not go out of its way to make sure recipients aren't able bodied, unattached, LAZY losers.

Welfare for those who are truly needy is called a safety net.

Welfare for others needs to be strictly challenged and controlled.

Welfare should not be a lifestyle choice.
The US has a highly efficient welfare system (i.e. maximises the $ going to the genuine poor), but also an inefficient one (i.e. minimises the $ going to reducing poverty). That reflects nonsense over 'welfare dependency', rather than genuine concern over poverty

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
The US has a highly efficient welfare system (i.e. maximises the $ going to the genuine poor), but also an inefficient one (i.e. minimises the $ going to reducing poverty).
Maybe you should delineate your "welfare efficiency" measure, given it doesn't convey much to call something "highly efficient" and "inefficient" at the same time. Trying to loft up pontificating paradoxical statements that will send eager young minds into a deep state of contemplation? How about just speak clearly: what are you actually saying an efficient welfare system would literally do?

That reflects nonsense over 'welfare dependency', rather than genuine concern over poverty
Try restating this, except semi-intelligibly this time.

Last edited:

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
The US has a highly efficient welfare system (i.e. maximises the $ going to the genuine poor), but also an inefficient one (i.e. minimises the $ going to reducing poverty). That reflects nonsense over 'welfare dependency', rather than genuine concern over poverty
The Economist did a series on public sector spending and found that the majority of spending benefited the middle class. I was surprised.

Dec 2007
Middle of nowhere Arkansas
And yet some people believe an employer should have control over what you do while not on their time.
Nice to be retired so I don't have to deal with this silly bs.
If you're a professional it's a matter of ethics.