The Trump administration tries to erase the 'huddled masses'

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
(CNN)Ken Cuccinelli tried to rewrite the gracious poem on base of the Statue of Liberty Tuesday, telling NPR that a new regulation under President Donald Trump would make immigrants more self-sufficient.
"Would you also agree that Emma Lazarus's words etched on the Statue of Liberty, 'Give me your tired, give me your poor,' are also a part of the American ethos?" NPR's Rachel Martin asked Cuccinelli on "Morning Edition" in an interview published Tuesday.
"They certainly are: 'Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge,'" he replied, altering the entire point of the poem.
It actually reads:
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, Iift my lamp beside the golden door!"The Trump administration tries to erase the 'huddled masses' - CNNPolitics

well , that just happened . This administrative sees a political advantage to being openly hostile to American values. Those "huddled masses" are now an "invasion". Keep in mind these are legal immigrants . Some of whom are employed . Also , trump knows this isn't even legal . It's just important for leaders with his despot personally to make a public show of subjugating the people he so often demonizes.

Jan 2014
California
The Watchman,

Exactly, the Trump administration is trying to move into the 21st century where every nation in the world has merit based immigration, with the exception of the US

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
(CNN)Ken Cuccinelli tried to rewrite the gracious poem on base of the Statue of Liberty Tuesday, telling NPR that a new regulation under President Donald Trump would make immigrants more self-sufficient.
"Would you also agree that Emma Lazarus's words etched on the Statue of Liberty, 'Give me your tired, give me your poor,' are also a part of the American ethos?" NPR's Rachel Martin asked Cuccinelli on "Morning Edition" in an interview published Tuesday.
"They certainly are: 'Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge,'" he replied, altering the entire point of the poem.
It actually reads:
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, Iift my lamp beside the golden door!"The Trump administration tries to erase the 'huddled masses' - CNNPolitics

well , that just happened . This administrative sees a political advantage to being openly hostile to American values. Those "huddled masses" are now an "invasion". Keep in mind these are legal immigrants . Some of whom are employed . Also , trump knows this isn't even legal . It's just important for leaders with his despot personally to make a public show of subjugating the people he so often demonizes.
Seems like just about everyone in this administration is an idiot.

But yeah, have to "play" to that hardcore base right?

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
I was a landed immigrant to Canada in 1974.

I had to have a job in Ontario, references from my employer (school) and a face to face interview in New York City, where they told me that I would not be allowed landed immigrant status unless I added something to the country and would not cost them anything.

I don't see how the statement " 'Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge" is any different or any less appropriate than the standards for entering Canada.

Seems like common sense to me.

Jan 2007
The Watchman,

Exactly, the Trump administration is trying to move into the 21st century where every nation in the world has merit based immigration, with the exception of the US

We still rely on stupid immigration policy. It's not 1900 any more when the population was 76 million. Mexico isn't as stupid as we are concerning legal immigration.

Mar 2019
Heavy Metal Chick
We still rely on stupid immigration policy. It's not 1900 any more when the population was 76 million. Mexico isn't as stupid as we are concerning legal immigration.

Welfare didn't exist back then and anyone coming here had to make it on their own or with help from their friends and neighbors.

They didn't expect the government to provide for them at other people's expense

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
We really should just remove that plaque from the Statue of Liberty. It no longer applies.