The truth — and lies — about Chicago's gun laws

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
77,849
69,634
So. Md.
Just so the gun nuts know the truth. Not everything you see on the internet is true.

Sorry, gun lovers, your attempts to use Chicago as a prop to bolster your claims that gun control laws do nothing to curb gun violence just don’t hold up.
New York, in fact, has stricter gun laws on the books than Chicago. And guess what? Its homicide numbers are heading toward historic lows. Los Angeles has some pretty tough gun laws too. Its homicide numbers also pale compared with Chicago’s.

Those kinds of details don’t fit the conservative, pro-gun narrative, though. To use New York as a talking point, they’d have to admit that strict gun laws might actually have an impact on homicide rates.

We don’t make excuses for our ghastly homicide numbers in Chicago. With 762 people killed last year, no one has to remind us that we have a serious gun problem. We own it. And we have to do something about it.

But we are tired of Donald Trump and pro-gun advocates using our city to promote their political agenda.
This is why we need federal laws.

Law enforcement officials say 60 percent of the guns confiscated on the streets of Chicago come from Indiana, Wisconsin and Mississippi. The other 40 percent come from suburban Cook County and nearby suburbs.
The truth ? and lies ? about Chicago's gun laws - Chicago Tribune
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4 people
Feb 2010
35,044
25,150
between Moon and NYC
As noted in the article. Until a decade or so ago Chicago did have the toughest gun laws. Bordered on ridiculous actually.

Easing up on the gun restrictions over the last number of years hasn't made things better. Or notably worse.


Hasn't really made much difference at all. So we can draw our own conclusions from that.