The ultimate irony of fear and firearms.....

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Well we know you aren't..... Go pound sand, troll.
No, I'm not rich and am considered by most to be only above average in physical looks.
You see, I understand the concepts of humility and honesty. You should try it sometimes.
Tell me, you consider it an insult, or demeaning, to say someone is NOT rich and good-looking?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cool:

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
No, I'm not rich and am considered by most to be only above average in physical looks.
You see, I understand the concepts of humility and honesty. You should try it sometimes.
Tell me, you consider it an insult, or demeaning, to say someone is NOT rich and good-looking?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cool:

Go away, troll.

Oct 2019
Earth
Ever consider the irony of people who purchase firearms because they fear people with firearms (themselves/others just like them)?
That's not an irony, perhaps paranoia. Would depend on their surroundings; if someone lives in Chicago or Detroit there may be closer to legitimate concerns than if the person lives in the middle of rural America.

People will generally call on people that not just own a firearm, but are trained in how to use it for a "common defense" without shooting their own kind in the back or the crossfire.
Yes, though cops do shoot other cops now and then too.

The issue comes down to a person's willingness to risk having to survive the 10-12 min average response time.

Some of us are too old to get into a fist fight and too young to die.

Most people have no problems with people keeping and bearing arms as in their LEO's and their National Guard citizen soldiers (standing military as well) who are not only "trained in arms', but generally trained in situations, although the prevelance of firearms in society have some people with guns shooting other people with guns (and as in this case, themselves), first, then "asking questions' later, if they haven't shot and killed themselves.
There are also some who believe that only military should have guns.

Apparently some Americans don't appear to have observed how other nations have far fewer people shooting themselves as well as other people, if not a lot less frequently.
Most nations don't count suicides as gun violence.

When the numbers are equalized, the US shifts from among the most dangerous to the top 20 safest in the world.

Oct 2019
Earth
Someone trained to use a firearm. Not just some idiot who is compensating.
I'm sure that, if push came to shove, you would happily accept the assistance of someone who is "compensating" (because the only reason an average person would want to be armed is because of penis envy, apparently. How childish does one have to be to think like this?) If it was going to make the difference between life and death.

Jun 2013
Here
They say that firearms kept in the home are something like 20 times more likely to be used to shoot a family member, friend or yourself than to be used for self-defense.
I'm thinking that rigging booby traps probably increases those odds.

At least he didn't have the gun in his underwear.
(Not making the obvious 'booby trap' joke........)

Yes, it wouldn't do for firearms manufacturers to have the public know about what level of risk firearms in the home brings to those in the home.

I grew up around firearms and more......But they weren't purchased or owned for self-defense and that was the case for most people who owned firearms then. Now, thanks to the NRA (I was once a member of) there is hype about owning a firearm for "self defense", with the emphasis on owning one, not on safe storage or learning how to use one, so innocent people are not shot. Also emphasized appears to have been the innuendo that America is a combat zone and Americans should be paranoid about "other" Americans with guns. The aimed for end result appears to be a nation where we're all not only armed, but paranoid about armed people (those like us). If it weren't for Americans that connect the dots that paranoia about people with guns so that one purchases a gun (becoming one of those people with guns), the NRA's plan would be great for firearms manufacturers. As it has turned out, what increase there has been in arms sales, has involved people who already owned firearms.

Some people (some of whom speed down highways and streets and don't use turn signals or stop at stop signs) want to claim that obeying the law (being law abiding) somehow means they will forever be, law abiding. They appear to have failed to note that no one is born as a law breaker, meaning all people who have ever broken the law, were "law abiding" before they broke the law. People get brain tumors, people get illnesses or experience incidents and events that can affect their minds. With a firearm in the house, their anger or depression may have them reaching for that firearm as some sort of "relief" or "solution" to whatever causes their mind to change or flip out. They may just use that firearm to kill themselves or they may seek to take out others, with or without taking their own lives at the same time.

If one is paranoid that someone else with a firearm is going to be a threat to them, safe storage of their firearm is likely going to create a problem when they need that firearm immediately, thus the best means to be "prepared" should such an attack occur, is to have the firearm on their person, at all times, loaded and ready to fire, the firearm's safety being the only thing preventing it from firing, should the trigger be pulled, in some instances, a need to "cock" the weapon, also needs to occur before it will fire. Still, to be fully "prepared" one must take on the attitude of living in a combat zone, not in a society and a nation where fewer firearms in society mean fewer chances someone will have one and less of a need to have one to "protect" one's self.

It's an attitude thing and the NRA has promoted (since 1980's) a sense of paranoia and the promotion of gun sales for the purposes of individual "self-defense"......something that is NOT mentioned in the Constitution and "self-defense" is NOT synonymous with owning a firearm.
"Self defense" is an inalienable right. As long as anyone's action can be deemed (if contested) to be "self-defense" without malice aforethought and without pre-emption, if their action causes severe injury or death to those attacking them where their life was clearly under mortal threat, they cannot be held responsible for initiating the act that caused the injury and thus have their responsibility excused.

The attitude the NRA has helped espouse and encourage has become a vicious cycle. Just like the more kids that are given boxes of matches, the greater the chance one or more of them will light an unwanted fire with them, the more firearms there are in our society, the greater the chance people are going to be shot. Yes, people kill people, but people don't die of "people wounds" they die as the result of the damage gunshot wounds cause. The world is full of people and without any guns in the world. no one could die of gunshot wounds. Yes, there are other weapons that people can use to wound or kill, but there is a reason all the people who claim to be defending Amendment II and their "right" to keep and bear arms (it does not say "firearms") are referring to firearms, not baseball bats, knives, motor vehicles and swimming pools.

I am not alone in seeing Amendment II as referring to what is "necessary to the security of a free state".......That being "a well regulated militia" since the "common defense" shows up several times in the text of the Constitution and "well regulated militia" exist in the interest of the "common defense", of either each individual state OR the nation.

I don't see any court supporting an absolute total ban on firearms because it would mean barring law enforcement, the standing military and citizen soldiers (the well regulated militia) from possessing firearms to carry out their Constitutional duty to "the common defense".

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Sort of a bizarre event. Tragic outcome. There was something clearly unbalanced about the guy.

This rigged contraption was at the front door. And according to the article there were more setups at other locations around the house. In most or all states any lethal automated home defense devices are illegal to begin with.

Would be curious to hear the details of what drove/motivated the man to these extreme measures. Think it's a bit cold to suggest he was just a gun fanatic or "compensating" with his behavior here. There is some background to this story we have not heard yet.

Sep 2019
dfw, texas
I thought the biggest irony is that people who fear guns, when in trouble, the first call they make will be to seek the assistance of someone with a gun.
and so do those who have guns. duh. remember in Texas under republican leadership and NRA direction we have allowed any one and their uncle to buy all the assault weapons and ammo and high capacity magazines and any other gun and ammo they want, without even having to show ID at gunshows or from private sellers in general, and let them carry them without license anywhere they want, just like befuddled gun nuts claim is SOMEHOW SAFER THAN NOT HAVING A BUNCH OF ARMED LOONS IN PUBLIC....and yet, when that idiot drove from Dallas to El Paso armed with the usual assault weapon so he could shoot and kill as many mexicans as he could, not enough of them in Dallas, he said, as fast as he could, NOT ONE ARMED TEXAN IN THAT WALMART STOOD UP TO PROTECT ANYBODY, DESPITE SILLY ASS NRA GUN NUT CLAIMS THEY WOULD....

One of the high school mass shootings had at least one armed guard, and it didn't stop the loon from opening fire or stop him from ending fire.

If having armed loons in public worked, we wouldn't have many times the homicide rate of sensible countries not controlled by the NRA, especially gun related murders and very especially mass shootings.

but i guess this gun nut in Krogers here in Texas feels safe, unlike everybody else who gets hear him-

gun nut krogers.jpg

CtC

Mar 2019
California
and so do those who have guns. duh. remember in Texas under republican leadership and NRA direction we have allowed any one and their uncle to buy all the assault weapons and ammo and high capacity magazines and any other gun and ammo they want, without even having to show ID at gunshows or from private sellers in general, and let them carry them without license anywhere they want, just like befuddled gun nuts claim is SOMEHOW SAFER THAN NOT HAVING A BUNCH OF ARMED LOONS IN PUBLIC....and yet, when that idiot drove from Dallas to El Paso armed with the usual assault weapon so he could shoot and kill as many mexicans as he could, not enough of them in Dallas, he said, as fast as he could, NOT ONE ARMED TEXAN IN THAT WALMART STOOD UP TO PROTECT ANYBODY, DESPITE SILLY ASS NRA GUN NUT CLAIMS THEY WOULD....

One of the high school mass shootings had at least one armed guard, and it didn't stop the loon from opening fire or stop him from ending fire.

If having armed loons in public worked, we wouldn't have many times the homicide rate of sensible countries not controlled by the NRA, especially gun related murders and very especially mass shootings.

but i guess this gun nut in Krogers here in Texas feels safe, unlike everybody else who gets hear him-

View attachment 32129
Sensible countries like Cuba? El Salvador?