The unnecessary totalitarianism that is school uniforms.

Oct 2010
Thank god school uniforms don't exist in most schools in America. I realize a couple Catholic/private schools have them. But if they ever hit public schools, there will be an open rebellion against the federal government of United States. A rebellion that will result in massive loss of life. Taking away the right to dress freely in American high schools and junior high schools is the line that we the people of the United States of America draw. Our Founding Fathers gave us the right to bear arms to prevent totalitarianism and rebel against our government if need be. I hope it doesn't come to a rebellion, but we will rebel if necessary. Hopefully things will never come to that though, hopefully school uniforms never exist. And they never will, because if they did, there would be a rebellion. Everyone will rebel, both high school students and your average citizen who has had enough of this totalitarianism in America.

Jun 2006
Vancouver
Reminds me of the unnecessary totalitarianism of having to wear pants or face fines and imprisonment atthe hands of the state.

We really are living in a hellish nightmare dystopia of brutal repression, aren't we.

Nov 2010
I think they should have uniforms. It takes away a lot of the stigma of being fashionable, or poor kids that can't afford fashionable clothing. or the distractions that could arise from kids wearing skimpy clothing or other issues that have arisen out of kids wearing certain things. Its not like they have to wear them any other time but at school. But I don't think it will ever happen in public schools.

I think they should have uniforms. It takes away a lot of the stigma of being fashionable, or poor kids that can't afford fashionable clothing. or the distractions that could arise from kids wearing skimpy clothing or other issues that have arisen out of kids wearing certain things. Its not like they have to wear them any other time but at school. But I don't think it will ever happen in public schools.
Philadelphia did in 2000 in response to outbreaks of violence where students were being assaulted by other students for items of clothing or being out of fashion.

There is an elementary a block from where I work. The boys wear black shoes, white socks, black slacks and white button-down shirts. The girls wear skirts, shirts or blouses of a similar color.

2. Standard dress or uniforms
In the interest of supporting the general welfare of the school community and its education program, the Board of Education has adopted a mandatory, district-wide school uniform policy. "Uniform" is defined as clothing of the same style and /or color and, therefore, encompasses clothing of a standard look, particularly at the high school level.
(a) During school year 2000-2001, each school will determine the styles and colors of dress to be worn by students attending the school
(b) All students are expected to dress in the manner adopted by their schools effective November 2000. (c) Effective September 2001, all students shall be required to dress in the manner adopted by their schools, or be subject to corrective measures specific to this policy. Principals and their designees charged with enforcement of a school´┐Żs dress policy shall use reasonable discretion and judgment. A student may not be disciplined for non-compliance where, for example, his or her otherwise conforming top is a different shade of the color adopted by the school for its uniform.
221. STUDENT DRESS AND GROOMING

Everyone seems very pleased with the policy and for kids coming up now...it is all they have ever known.

Oct 2010
Before anyone says "it's just clothing" then you sir are a fool.

"it's just just a school uniform that you're forced to wear against your will"
"it's just a curfew that effects everyone"
"it's just surveillance cameras in public"
"it's just getting patted down at airports"
"it's just censorship of 'unsavory' media"
"it's just the government controlling the press"
"it's just the right to hold supposedly 'bad' people without charging them with a crime"

Where does it end? It won't ever end. If we give them an inch, they will ruin America even more so than it already is. The government wants for there to be complete "order" and absolutely no freedoms. It would be easier for the government that way, then they could bend the universe to their will.

Oct 2010
USA
Where does it end? It won't ever end. If we give them an inch, they will ruin America even more so than it already is. The government wants for there to be complete "order" and absolutely no freedoms. It would be easier for the government that way, then they could bend the universe to their will.
You say this. And yet you support the continued prohibition of pot. I suggest you look up totalitarianism and see what it REALLY means.

Oct 2010
You say this. And yet you support the continued prohibition of pot. I suggest you look up totalitarianism and see what it REALLY means.
School uniforms don't exist yet, and most likely never will. Whereas pot already got banned long ago and it's a done deal.