The Washington Post had to create a new Pinocchio rating just for Trump

Sep 2012
SoCal
The Washington Post had to create a new Pinocchio rating just for Trump
I’ve noticed this before, and I’m sure you have too. Certainly, Glenn Kessler, the indefatigable Washington Post fact-checker, is all too familiar with the phenomenon.

Donald Trump doesn’t just lie — often. He repeats the same lies over and over and over again, long after being caught tiny-orange-handed.

Way back in the long-ago before-times, when I was still just a naif who believed our country would never elect someone as clownish and dishonest as Donald Trump, I sent one of his claims to PolitiFact, and they looked into it. It was during a debate, I believe, when I first heard him claim that the U.S. was the highest-taxed nation in the world.

Now, unlike Trump’s followers, when I read Juggs magazine* I don’t have to sound out the words. So I’m a little more plugged in to things like universal truth and consensus reality, and I knew this claim was bullshit. But three years ago I foolishly thought people just needed to see Trump brazenly lying about issues that affected them and they’d bail on him instantly.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I was so much younger then; I’m older than that now.

PolitiFact looked into the claim back then and has rechecked it numerous times since — because Trump keeps making it. And, of course, they rated it “false.” Like that was ever going to make a difference.

Anyway, The Washington Post has finally caught on to Trump’s new truth paradigm, and they’re creating a new award just for him.

It’s called the Bottomless Pinocchio, and it goes to pathological liars who can’t stop telling the same lies over and over again:

...MORE...
Meet the Bottomless Pinocchio, a new rating for a false claim repeated over and over again