There Are Thousands Of Tardigrades On The Moon. Are They Still Alive?

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
I say they're dormant....

While they mutate into terrifying giants.

Reactions: BigLeRoy

CtC

Mar 2019
California
We don't KNOW!!

There Are Thousands of Tardigrades on the Moon. Now What?

Tardigrades are some of the HARDIEST creatures on Earth. They can survive high vacuum, high levels of radiation, complete dehydration, high temperatures, low temperatures.....They seem to be Nature's Great Survivors.

Are they still alive? If so, they are probably in their dormant mode. But, still.....
Sure. So are the vacuum worms. Alive in the petrified air.They feed on Tardigrades.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Are they still alive? If so, they are probably in their dormant mode. But, still.....
I suspect they are not. They can endure extreme conditions, but not - as I understand it - indefinitely.

Cool creatures, though ... definitely worth studying.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I read that they can survive in a dehydrated state for up to 10 years. Or course, they are for all practical purposes inanimate while in that state.
Key paragraphs from the link:

Tardigrades survive conditions that would destroy most other organisms; they do so by expelling the water from their bodies and generating compounds that seal and protect the structure of their cells. The creatures can remain in this so-called tun state for months and still revive in the presence of water; scientists even resuscitated two tardigrades from a 30-year deep freeze in 2016.

As a tun, a tardigrade can weather boiling, freezing, high pressure and even the vacuum of space, the European Space Agency (ESA) reported in 2008, after sending water bears into orbit. Ultraviolet radiation turned out to be the tardigrades' kryptonite, as few of the creatures survived full exposure to UV light during the ESA experiments.

This could be good news for the desiccated Beresheet tardigrades. If they landed in a spot on the moon shielded from UV radiation, the microscopic creatures might stand a chance of survival, Martin said.

"My guess is that if we went up in the next year or so, recovered the wreckage, and found these tiny, little tuns and put them in water, a few of them would come back to life," he explained.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I guess they ARE very susceptible to ultra-violet radiation, though. Had not known that until I re-read the article.