Theresa May in final push for Brexit

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Why would you want an open marriage though if the one you were in was so great?

That doesn't make any sense to me.
That's Brexit. It doesn't make any sense. Why they did this now, for the stated reasons they did, in the way they did it, makes absolutely no damn sense.

Don't like the EU? OK, pass legislation saying the EU can't do certain things and negotiate the outcome. Or at least think this stuff out better.

Some guys with a lot of money and the capacity to simultaneously lie their asses off and believe foolish things pushed the country onto the edge of a cliff.

Most of them are now voluntarily out of government, making no particular effort to steer the ship they launched on a perilous course.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
An extension will be supported by the EU, most likely, yes. IF the UK can believably make a case that the delay has ANY chance of actual improve the current situation.. and THAT might be the big issue. The UK asking for a delay, without any concept of how to move out of the current stalemate.. will do one thing only then.. buying the UK time to hold a second referendum, which hopefully will negate the Brexit movement for good at this point in time.

What alternative would there be ?The EU will not move any further toward the UK hardliners in making the deal more sweet for the UK, and more bitter for the EU.
As PM May said today, if they want to do a serious extension, they have to participate in the EU parliamentary elections.

If that happens, Brexit is most likely going to be cancelled or indefinitely delayed. The meaning of those elections, if allowed to occur, will be clear.

Nov 2014
North Carolina
That's Brexit. It doesn't make any sense. Why they did this now, for the stated reasons they did, in the way they did it, makes absolutely no damn sense.

Don't like the EU? OK, pass legislation saying the EU can't do certain things and negotiate the outcome. Or at least think this stuff out better.

Some guys with a lot of money and the capacity to simultaneously lie their asses off and believe foolish things pushed the country onto the edge of a cliff.

Most of them are now voluntarily out of government, making no particular effort to steer the ship they launched on a perilous course.
I find it hard to believe so many people voted to leave the EU for no apparent reason. The British people have lasted a long time so I wouldn't expect them to be dummies. But like I said - I'm no expert on British Politics. So who knows, maybe they did vote to leave the EU for no reason. lol

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
I find it hard to believe so many people voted to leave the EU for no apparent reason. The British people have lasted a long time so I wouldn't expect them to be dummies. But like I said - I'm no expert on British Politics. So who knows, maybe they did vote to leave the EU for no reason. lol
They had plenty of reasons, those reasons have just proven to either false on their face or significantly harder to pursue than they assumed / planned for.

Most Brits did not understand what Brexit would be in 2016, and most of them still don't understand it. "Wot is Brexit?" remains a popular Google search, and running gag.

Meanwhile, Leave camp leadership is nowhere to be found.

Nov 2014
North Carolina
They had plenty of reasons, those reasons have just proven to either false on their face or significantly harder to pursue than they assumed / planned for.

Most Brits did not understand what Brexit would be in 2016, and most of them still don't understand it. Meanwhile, Leave camp leadership is nowhere to be found.
That's really just another way to say they were stupid and gullible. I dunno - maybe they were. Like I said - I don't live over there so I can't say what they were dealing with on account of being part of the EU. It does seem unlikely to me though that so many people would have voted to leave if it was really so great. The British people come across as fairly intelligent people to me.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
That's really just another way to say they were stupid and gullible. I dunno - maybe they were. Like I said - I don't live over there so I can't say what they were dealing with on account of being part of the EU. It does seem unlikely to me though that so many people would have voted to leave if it was really so great. The British people come across as fairly intelligent people to me.
You had some very popular figures, like Boris Johnson, say some very irresponsible things. People don't deserve to be blamed for being lied to.

They were told, things will be cheaper. Nope. They were told, we'll fund health care more. Nope. They were told, this won't cost much. Nope.

As for Johnson? He served a brief stint as Foreign Minister, accomplished absolutely fuck all on Brexit, and then left because May wasn't Brexity enough.

His career is over, he just doesn't know it yet.

Nov 2013
NY
The referendum was a 52 % - 48 %, pretty close call. And the day AFTER the referendum, Brexit was the most googled word within the UK.. meaning, only AFTER their vote, when faced with the decision, Brits actually started to look into hat that now would actually mean.

People often listen to populists and let them build their opinions for them.
Some actually said they did this as a protest vote, but never expected the final result to support their protest.. if they'd knew , they would have voted differently.

Nov 2014
North Carolina
You had some very popular figures, like Boris Johnson, say some very irresponsible things. People don't deserve to be blamed for being lied to.

As for Johnson? He served a brief stint as Foreign Minister, accomplished absolutely fuck all on Brexit, and then left because May wasn't Brexity enough.

His career is over, he just doesn't know it yet.
People deserve to be blamed if they were fed obvious lies and fell for it. Especially if the benefits of being in the EU was as good as you say.