They Caught A Chess Grandmaster Cheating

Jan 2016
Colorado
Chess Grandmaster Igors Rausis Caught Cheating with Cellphone Found in Toilet

Caught him red-handed, in the toilet, using a cell-phone. Chess engines you can access on a smart-phone are powerful enough to defeat grandmasters, so.....yeah. This is a temptation, and since there are some fairly big prizes in these grandmaster tournaments, it is a big incentive to cheat.....if you can get away with it. This guy didn't, and will probably not be playing in chess tournaments anymore. And his grandmaster rating is presumably now in doubt.

Mar 2019
California
Chess Grandmaster Igors Rausis Caught Cheating with Cellphone Found in Toilet

Caught him red-handed, in the toilet, using a cell-phone. Chess engines you can access on a smart-phone are powerful enough to defeat grandmasters, so.....yeah. This is a temptation, and since there are some fairly big prizes in these grandmaster tournaments, it is a big incentive to cheat.....if you can get away with it. This guy didn't, and will probably not be playing in chess tournaments anymore. And his grandmaster rating is presumably now in doubt.
Thought all the pieces were out there to see. How can one possibly cheat?

Jan 2016
Colorado
Thought all the pieces were out there to see. How can one possibly cheat?
You excuse yourself to go to the restroom, enter the position on the chessboard into a chess engine on your smart-phone, have it analyze your position and recommend the best move. As I said, some chess engines you can access on a smart-phone these days are powerful enough to defeat a grandmaster......

Mar 2019
California
You excuse yourself to go to the restroom, enter the position on the chessboard into a chess engine on your smart-phone, have it analyze your position and recommend the best move. As I said, some chess engines you can access on a smart-phone these days are powerful enough to defeat a grandmaster......
But a Grand master would KNOW the positions before and after taking a "Break". If not ,they wouldn't be good enough to compete.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Well that was certainly awkward.

But according to the article the guy was currently ranked 53rd.....so this probably isn't going to have much lasting impact on the game.

(....and he did finally get his name in the headlines.)

Jan 2016
Colorado
Without even reading the OP, I figured it would be a Russian or some kind of ex-Soviet. Yep. Fucking Latvian, of course :D

Sigh... It's not funny, it's sad, really...
Your post reminded me of a National Lampoon parody of the Olympics in which they invented several new 'sports' for the Olympics. One of them was 'wheelchair diving'-----OK, not very funny today-----but another one was 'Latvian running amok', which featured athletes just running amok through the crowd, bonking random bystanders on the head, etc......….

LOL!