This Amazing Device Just Made Wheelchairs Obsolete for Paraplegics

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
The young man in this video looks like he's riding a Segway. But Yusuf Akturkoglu was paralized after falling from a horse five years ago, and he's being mobilized by an amazing device invented by Turkish scientists. It's going to change lives.

It's called the Tek Robotic Mobilization Device, and it not only allows people who can't walk get around more independently than any device has before, but it also helps them stand up on their own, which is crucial for maintaining basic health functions in people who have spinal cord injuries.

Instead of entering from the front like a normal wheelchair, people using the Tek RMD enter from the back of the device. That way they don't have to hoist themselves with a momentum that can be dangerous and is next to impossible to do alone. By attaching a thick padded strap around the hips, Yusuf maneuvers himself into the Tek RMD on his own. The device uses a suspension system that balances the weight so he can stand up with just a gentle pull. Standing for an hour or more every day is important for people who have lost movement in their legs; without the weight-bearing effect of standing, they can develop cardiovascular problems, brittle bones, pressure sores not to mention the psychological importance of eye-to-eye interpersonal contact.
https://gizmodo.com/5894489/segway-style-device-for-paraplegics-puts-wheelchairs-to-shame

Can you imagine being able to stand again after being confined to a wheelchair?

Nov 2013
NY
I think it's a great device for better mobility within a home. it seems to be designed though as an adition to a wheelchair, not a replacement (the whole boarding process was shown / optimized from a wheelchair).
I'm no physiotherapist, and don't know enough about the human body.,.. but to be vertical, strapped in like that on legs that cannot carry the weight as it does for usual standing people.. I have no idea how exhausting it would be for a paraplegic to be vertical like that for an extended time period, which muscles take over the stabilization and weight that the legs would otherwise carry.

But very smart, and definitely great for those who live in standard, non- ADA homes.. reaching cupboards, being on height with conversation partners etc.. great benefit.

Oct 2011
Washington State
Cool. Great to see our technology helping those in need.

When I had my ankle surgery back in 1998 they told me I might lose my leg. Twenty years later and I'm on my second ankle implant, same ankle.