Thought experiment

Czernobog

Former Staff
Dec 2011
Phoenix, AZ
So, let us for a moment, imagine that the universe exists, but there is no God. In what way would the Earth be different? Note, I'm not talking about humanity, or society - although, if someone wants to take a stab at that, I suppose that would be a way to go - but rather the planet itself. In what demonstrable way, that can be presented with evidence, would the Earth be different?

Jan 2014
California
So, let us for a moment, imagine that the universe exists, but there is no God. In what way would the Earth be different? Note, I'm not talking about humanity, or society - although, if someone wants to take a stab at that, I suppose that would be a way to go - but rather the planet itself. In what demonstrable way, that can be presented with evidence, would the Earth be different?
Mr. Czernobog,

We don't have to imagine it. It existed in Germany under the NAZIs, the Soviet Union under Stalin (amongst others), China under Mao, and Cambodia under Pol Pot and we saw the results.

Nov 2013
NY

That's exactly what it is.. Universe exists (obviously), and there's no God. Things are as they are, not different.

Czernobog

Former Staff
Dec 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Mr. Czernobog,

We don't have to imagine it. It existed in Germany under the NAZIs, the Soviet Union under Stalin (amongst others), China under Mao, and Cambodia under Pol Pot and we saw the results.
So, to be clear, you think that it was the lack of religion that was the "problem" with your examples? A couple of problems with that. First, the NAZIs in Germany were not not a "religion-free" society. In fact, the government was silent on the question of religion. In the case of both China, and Russia - communism - you don't think that the need for government to oppress it citizenry had anything to do with that? Surely you are not suggesting that the only oppressive governments that have ever existed were non-religious?!?

Czernobog

Former Staff
Dec 2011
Phoenix, AZ
That's exactly what it is.. Universe exists (obviously), and there's no God. Things are as they are, not different.
So, you are saying, for the sake of those who have a hard time imagining such a thing, that the universe would not require any divine being to exist exactly as it is?

Nov 2013
NY
So, you are saying, for the sake of those who have a hard time imagining such a thing, that the universe would not require any divine being to exist exactly as it is?
No.
"I'm" saying, there IS no divine being, and the universe exists exactly as it is. :)

But that's just me. Well, not JUST me.. there are a lot more.. most of them to be found in the scientific world...you know, that spooky stuff ;-)

Jan 2014
California
So, to be clear, you think that it was the lack of religion that was the "problem" with your examples? A couple of problems with that. First, the NAZIs in Germany were not not a "religion-free" society. In fact, the government was silent on the question of religion. In the case of both China, and Russia - communism - you don't think that the need for government to oppress it citizenry had anything to do with that? Surely you are not suggesting that the only oppressive governments that have ever existed were non-religious?!?
Mr. Czernobog,

In each of my examples, the regimes replaced god with the religion of the state, and without the moral backing of religion, atrocities were justified in support of the state.

Jun 2013
VA
The planet Earth? No difference.

Gravity and geological and physical effects could (and did) create the Earth, and later its atmosphere. That would give rise to the amino acids which would create unicellular life...then multicellular life.

The Earth would spin on its axis....experience the seasons....have flood and drought....see life rise and even undergo mass extinctions (Permian was a biggie)....

all without a "deity" involved. Simple, natural processes would work without "divine guidance."

Jun 2013
VA
Mr. Czernobog,

In each of my examples, the regimes replaced god with the religion of the state, and without the moral backing of religion, atrocities were justified in support of the state.
And your post has nothing to do with the OP, re-read it.....which asked

How would THE EARTH (not man or society) look different if there was no God?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Mr. Czernobog, We don't have to imagine it. It existed in Germany under the NAZIs, the Soviet Union under Stalin (amongst others), China under Mao, and Cambodia under Pol Pot and we saw the results.
I think that Czernobog is postulating a world where God simply didn't exist. Assuming you believe in God, you would agree that under certain political regimes, religion was suppressed, but this suppression would have had no effect on God.

Think of it this way... If God decided, later today, to depart our universe, never to return, how would his departure manifest to humans on earth?