Thousands of Disney+ accounts are up for sale on the dark web

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Didnt take long..

Hackers didn't waste any time and have started hijacking Disney+ user accounts hours after the service launched.

Many of these accounts are now being offered for free on hacking forums, or available for sale for prices varying from $3 to $11, a ZDNet investigation has discovered.

Many users reported that hackers were accessing their accounts, logging them out of all devices, and then changing the account's email and password, effectively taking over the account and locking the previous owner out. The speed at which hackers have mobilized to monetize Disney+ accounts is astounding. Accounts were put up for sale on hacking forums within hours after the service's launch.

Prices vary from $3 per account to as much as $11 -- which, by the way, is more than what a legitimate Disney+ account costs from Disney, which is $7.

What Disney+ is facing right now is what other streaming services have been fighting against for years. Hacking forums have been overflowing with hacked Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix accounts. The reason hackers are still putting up new accounts for sale on a regular basis is because people are buying.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Another example of making cool stuff before making secure cool stuff.

Disney said it hasn't been hacked. Which may be true. There could be someone on the inside or an open door somewhere, which wouldn't be considered hacking by definition.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't understand how this can work. How long can it take before the account owner realizes that they're locked out of their own account and reports it?

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
One thing not mentioned is that the accounts may be pirated but are very easy to get back. Just click Forgot Password and change it.

I'm betting that many of these people use the same password for most things and were compromised elsewhere.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
What am I not understanding. People are going on the dark web to pay more for something that's effortlessly available in unlimited quantities for the same price or cheaper through literally any internet connection?

If someone wants to pay 11 dollars to access my streaming accounts they're welcome to do it. Give me the 11 bucks. Disney plus allows for up to 6 devices. It does me no harm whatsoever if 5 random people piggy back off my account. And I could use 55 bucks.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
What am I not understanding. People are going on the dark web to pay more for something that's effortlessly available in unlimited quantities for the same price or cheaper through literally any internet connection?

If someone wants to pay 11 dollars to access my streaming accounts they're welcome to do it. Give me the 11 bucks. Disney plus allows for up to 6 devices. It does me no harm whatsoever if 5 random people piggy back off my account. And I could use 55 bucks.
I haven't checked the TOS of the Disney+ service, but I'm 100% sure that there is a clause explicitly prohibiting what you describe.

Reactions: The Man