Threats after woman urinates on American flag on July 4

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
A woman who shared a video of herself urinating on an American flag has asked that people stop targeting her family, saying they do not support her actions.

Emily Lance received online threats of murder and rape after posting the video during Independence Day celebrations. Her account is no longer on Facebook but she previously posted that her father and his workplace had also been "targeted", reports say. In the video, Ms Lance is seen standing over a toilet on which a US flag is draped, and urinating on it with the aid of a device that allows women to do so standing up.

She captioned it with: "F*** your nationalism. F*** your country. F*** your stupid f****** flag".

Later she made a plea for her opponents not to "take your anger out on the wrong people", saying no-one in her family "agrees with my shenanigans".

"They've got nothing to do with my decisions," she continued. She did not explain how her father and his workplace had been "targeted".

"What don't you people understand? You're celebrating freedom while damning me for doing the same. You can't have it both ways," she said.

Emily Lance threatened after urinating on US flag on 4 July - BBC News

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
She has a right to soil the flag and shout profanities. That doesn't mean she's not a drama queen.

Reactions: 3 people

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
It's odd that the people who routinely denounce desecration of the U.S. flag are same demographic most likely to purchase flag-themed bathing suits so they can wrap their junk in the stars and stripes.

Reactions: 7 people

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Freedom of speech is not always pretty, but this woman is a gauche pig. As far as covering your junk with the flag...bathing suits are not made by using the flag, but material that looks like the stars and stripes...that is the difference. If you cut up a flag to make a loin cloth, that would be desecration of the flag.

Reactions: 5 people

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
It's odd that the people who routinely denounce desecration of the U.S. flag are same demographic most likely to purchase flag-themed bathing suits so they can wrap their junk in the stars and stripes.
The Flag Code of Etiquette doesn't object to "flag themed" clothing. Actually making clothing (or a handbag, or whatever) from a flag or putting a flag image ON clothing is frowned upon. "Bunting" is okay.

Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2014
Border Fence
What is worse... is the same crowd that claim to love the flag so much are the crowd that do the threats of violence.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
The Flag Code of Etiquette doesn't object to "flag themed" clothing. Actually making clothing (or a handbag, or whatever) from a flag or putting a flag image ON clothing is frowned upon. "Bunting" is okay.
The Flag Code of Etiquette can object to what it likes..but my private property is mine to do as I wish.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Do an image-search for american flag mens speedos ... This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. I'm betting that you'll get even more graphic results if you replace "speedos" with "banana hammocks."