Three Steps to Avoiding Poverty

Feb 2019
Florida

To save you from the whole video, the three rules begin at 2:20.

"The reality is, if you don't want to be poor in America, it's very very easy. The Brookings Institute, which is a left leaning institute, says you only have to do three things:
Graduate high school
Don't have babies out of wedlock
Get a job."

Now, let's look at the face of poverty. How do we define poverty today in America?
(And liberals, let's grow up and get away from this idiotic idea of income inequality. Let's try something actually useful.)

The world's richest poor

The following are facts about persons defined as ‘poor’ by the Census Bureau as taken from various government reports:

• 80 percent of poor households have air conditioning. In 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.
  • 92 percent of poor households have a microwave.
  • Nearly three-fourths have a car or truck, and 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks.
  • Nearly two-thirds have cable or satellite TV.
  • Two-thirds have at least one DVD player, and 70 percent have a VCR.
  • Half have a personal computer, and one in seven have two or more computers.
  • More than half of poor families with children have a video game system, such as an Xbox or PlayStation.
  • 43 percent have Internet access.
  • One-third have a wide-screen plasma or LCD TV.
  • One-fourth have a digital video recorder system, such as a TiVo.
Ben Shapiro brought up an important point. It's not about how much money you have. It's about what that money will buy.
Today's poor are living a better and more affluent lifestyle than the richest Americans in 1920.

Feb 2019
Florida
Not being born into poverty remains the best step to avoid poverty.
Really? Clarence Thomas was born into poverty. He worked his way out.
Oprah Winfrey was born into poverty. (Net worth $3 billion)
John Paul DeJoria, (hair care empire and Patron Tequila creator) lived in his car. (net worth $2.9 billion)
Larry Ellison, Co-Founder of Oracle, was born to a single mother, worked odd jobs for eight years. (Net worth $49 billion)

There are lots of other examples:
17 Billionaires Who Started Out Dirt Poor

I found this out when I met an international trader a few years back. He was dealing in the Far East. He told me the vast majority of China's population is dirt poor, actually starving, and they are mostly illiterate. The high achieving Chinese we see today are those who have had to climb an extremely high mountain in competition to get to the big cities in China and then to emigrate to America. I didn't know that. He also said India is an extremely crowded country where, again, the vast majority of its population are poor, illiterate and starving to death. The Indian immigrants we see here, the doctors, store owners, business owners, have climbed a HUGE mountain of competition to get here.

Meanwhile, our government CREATES more poor by paying really stupid high school sluts to download babies, lose the father and take up permanent residence in Democrat inner city plantations.

Feb 2019
Florida
Interesting that they listed a ton of material possessions of poor people. It's just a shame you can't eat, drink or have any sense of peace of mind or survival from material possessions and/or material services.

If so I'll have a VCR, hold the salt.
The two most valuable possessions an American can have seems to be conspicuously absent from that list: Brains and the desire to get off one's fat ass and work.
Did you know that the Occupy America movement was created by a bunch of idiot college graduates who had $100,000 student loans, who were furious that they couldn't get six figure incomes for their Lesbian Dance Theory degrees. They blamed American capitalism for their stupid choices.

Meanwhile, trade schools turn out welders who make six figures. My agent's plumber drives a late model Porsche.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN

To save you from the whole video, the three rules begin at 2:20.

"The reality is, if you don't want to be poor in America, it's very very easy. The Brookings Institute, which is a left leaning institute, says you only have to do three things:
Graduate high school
Don't have babies out of wedlock
Get a job."

Now, let's look at the face of poverty. How do we define poverty today in America?
(And liberals, let's grow up and get away from this idiotic idea of income inequality. Let's try something actually useful.)

The world's richest poor

The following are facts about persons defined as ‘poor’ by the Census Bureau as taken from various government reports:

• 80 percent of poor households have air conditioning. In 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.
  • 92 percent of poor households have a microwave.
  • Nearly three-fourths have a car or truck, and 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks.
  • Nearly two-thirds have cable or satellite TV.
  • Two-thirds have at least one DVD player, and 70 percent have a VCR.
  • Half have a personal computer, and one in seven have two or more computers.
  • More than half of poor families with children have a video game system, such as an Xbox or PlayStation.
  • 43 percent have Internet access.
  • One-third have a wide-screen plasma or LCD TV.
  • One-fourth have a digital video recorder system, such as a TiVo.
Ben Shapiro brought up an important point. It's not about how much money you have. It's about what that money will buy.
Today's poor are living a better and more affluent lifestyle than the richest Americans in 1920.
Here again, why are we comparing ourselves to third world shitholes instead of our peer OECD nations? Why must you always punch down? Check the top 25 lists on any metric, where do we stand? On most of them not even in the top 10, on some not in the top 25. Are we supposed to be proud of mediocrity, thankful in fact that we are not as bad off as rag pickers in Mali? Maybe right wing serfs, peasants, minions and toadies are ok with that, you certainly seem to be fine with it.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
The two most valuable possessions an American can have seems to be conspicuously absent from that list: Brains and the desire to get off one's fat ass and work.
Did you know that the Occupy America movement was created by a bunch of idiot college graduates who had $100,000 student loans, who were furious that they couldn't get six figure incomes for their Lesbian Dance Theory degrees. They blamed American capitalism for their stupid choices.

Meanwhile, trade schools turn out welders who make six figures. My agent's plumber drives a late model Porsche.
Let me just say we do not use the 1920s a standard for poverty today. Only someone who has such a far claim to make would go to such lengths.

Feb 2019
Florida
Here again, why are we comparing ourselves to third world shitholes instead of our peer OECD nations

Gee. You liberals got mad at Trump when he said "Shithole countries." Now you're emulating him?

Why must you always punch down?

It's called COMPARISON. It's called FACT. And facts don't care about your feelings. And I wasn't just allegedly punching down the alleged "shithole countries" of today. I was also allegedly punching down American living conditions of the 1920s.

You seem awfully bitter, every time you lose an argument and come up against an inconvenient fact. You're bitter and closed minded to the fact that Americans are living better, EVEN OUR WORST POOR, than at any other time in our history, and it has been the result TOTALLY of free market capitalism. You refuse to celebrate the wondrous times we live in.

How did you EVER get so screwed up?