Time Out To Say: Stay Safe Texas Posters

May 2012
By the wall
Never been through a hurricane.

I think its the last natural disaster I have on my bucket list.

Well that and a meteor hit I suppose.

But yes, stay safe all.

Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2013
None of your business
Don't take chances. Our thoughts are with you.
Here's to hoping they weather the aftermath well, the amount of rainfall is astounding; I am not sure of the geography of the coastline nor Houston, but getting as much rain in one event as they get in one year?

Not a good situation. Sandy was rough, rough as hell, but given the fact that the coastline there has been compromised for off shore rigs, leaves me to believe that any storm surge would be catastrophic

May 2012
By the wall
Here's to hoping they weather the aftermath well, the amount of rainfall is astounding; I am not sure of the geography of the coastline nor Houston, but getting as much rain in one event as they get in one year?

Not a good situation. Sandy was rough, rough as hell, but given the fact that the coastline there has been compromised for off shore rigs, leaves me to believe that any storm surge would be catastrophic
That's a good question.

I'm not sure how Texas does with flooding.

I know when we get rain here in Arizona we handle it pretty well because of our monsoons.

Just have to watch the flash flooding which is actually pretty scary.

But the water goes away quick.

Oct 2013
USA

Not even counting the coastal area, the areas I saw of Texas were flat and if that is the same on the line of that hurricane I can see where it could be disastrous.

Jul 2013
Ohio
The Weather Channel on Hurricane Harvey:

CATASTROPHIC CAT. 3
HURRICANE NEARING LANDFALL
125 MPH WINDS,
CONDITIONS DETERIORATING,
WATER LEVELS RISING

Holy shit!

Reactions: 2 people
May 2012
By the wall
Not even counting the coastal area, the areas I saw of Texas were flat and if that is the same on the line of that hurricane I can see where it could be disastrous.
Actually flat areas can absorb heavy rain easier than raised ones.

The water just dissipates.

When you have raised areas the water tends to rush down faster with more force.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
With time running out, tens of thousands of people fled from the path of Hurricane Harvey Friday as it picked up strength and took aim at a wide swath of the Texas Gulf Coast that includes oil refineries, chemical plants and dangerously flood-prone Houston, the nation's fourth-largest city. Millions of people were bracing for a prolonged battering from the hurricane, which could be the fiercest such storm to hit the U.S. in nearly a dozen years. Forecasters labeled Harvey a "life-threatening storm" that posed a "grave risk," saying it could swamp several counties more than 100 miles inland.

Brock Long, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said on MSNBC earlier Friday that Harvey was a "very serious" threat and that the window for evacuating was quickly closing."Texas is about to have a very significant disaster," Long warned.

Hurricane Harvey Strengthens to Category 3 Storm - NBC New York

:( :(

Stay safe Texas!!!!

Jul 2013
Ohio
Back in the day when we didn't know what weather events were coming, this horrific tragedy happened:

Galveston Hurricane: September 8, 1900.

On September 8, a Category 4 hurricane ripped through Galveston, killing an estimated 6,000 to 8,000 people.
A 15-foot storm surge flooded the city, which was then situated at less than 9 feet above sea level, and numerous homes and buildings were destroyed.

Reactions: 2 people