Time to restore civil liberties lost in war on terror

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
As the letter to the editor about Jonathan Turley's article states, "Until our civil liberties are restored for future generations, our celebration of this weekend's events in Pakistan is sadly muted."

Turley: The demon is dead; so are many of our rights - USATODAY.com
The death of Osama bin Laden has left the United States with a type of morning-after effect. For 10 years, an ever-expanding war on terror has been defined by one central dark figure: Osama bin Laden. It is perhaps not surprising that in a celebrity-driven society, even our wars seemed personality driven. For many, Iraq was about Saddam Hussein. Afghanistan was about Osama bin Laden. With both of these defining figures gone, however, it is time to take account of what has been lost, and what has been gained.

For civil libertarians, the legacy of bin Laden is most troubling because it shows how the greatest injuries from terror are often self-inflicted. Bin Laden's twisted notion of success was not the bringing down of two buildings in New York or the partial destruction of the Pentagon. It was how the response to those attacks by the United States resulted in our abandonment of core principles and values in the "war on terror." Many of the most lasting impacts of this ill-defined war were felt domestically, not internationally.
Time to restore civil liberties lost in war on terror - USATODAY.com
We have indeed lost many basic civil liberties in our beloved nation since 9/11. I am ecstatic that we gave justice to a criminal who encouraged the end of some of our civil liberties and American way of life, which are the envy of societies around the world.

Our next priority should be bringing to justice our own politicians here at home who played into Osama bin Laden's hands and gave bin Laden exactly what he wanted. Until our civil liberties are restored for future generations, our celebration of this weekend's events in Pakistan is sadly muted.

Feb 2010
Our next priority should be bringing to justice our own politicians here at home who played into Osama bin Laden's hands and gave bin Laden exactly what he wanted?

First of all, where is proof thi is what he wanted? Second, bringin justice to politicians here at home....would of course require the rejection of Obama's run in 2012. The politician who has built a jail housing four times Gitmo's popultion. The candidate who has kept Gitmo open against his own promise and now engaged in tribunals for deatinees there. The candidate who has expanded and extended the Patriot Act. Even befor ehis election in 2008, in fact right prior to it, Obama voted for the Surveillance Act allowing for wiretapping and company records access......and you sheep who were able baaaa-ed on up and pulled Obama's lever. So talking the talk real real easy Wind...and especially those that thanked that post...bringing politicians to justice here and thus walking the walk much much more difficult and you and I both know none of you liberals are gonna do that.

Sep 2009
Our next priority should be bringing to justice our own politicians here at home who played into Osama bin Laden's hands and gave bin Laden exactly what he wanted?

First of all, where is proof thi is what he wanted? Second, bringin justice to politicians here at home....would of course require the rejection of Obama's run in 2012. The politician who has built a jail housing four times Gitmo's popultion. The candidate who has kept Gitmo open against his own promise and now engaged in tribunals for deatinees there. The candidate who has expanded and extended the Patriot Act. Even befor ehis election in 2008, in fact right prior to it, Obama voted for the Surveillance Act allowing for wiretapping and company records access......and you sheep who were able baaaa-ed on up and pulled Obama's lever. So talking the talk real real easy Wind...and especially those that thanked that post...walking the walk much more difficult and you know none of you are gonna do that.
Question!

What would McCain have done differently?

Jun 2006
Vancouver
See the thing is Old School, I read "built a jail housing four times Gitmo's population" and "expanded and extended the Patriot Act" and I think, "Wow? Really? I didn't know that. What an a-hole this administr.... wait a second.... engaged in tribunals for detainees in Gitmo? That's not true. That was a judge. That had nothing whatsoever to do with Obama, Obama was against that he just lost. I mean I guess you could say he should have tried harder, or he should have protested more... but it's a lie to say he had soemthing to do with the decision. A straight up lie. Blaming him for any and everything that happens, with no logic or sense.

And then I no longer believe anything else, either. The other ones may even be true, I wouldn't know. Because I'm so fucking sick of being lied to about Obama that I will tune out the people who have told me all those lies.

You can call people sheep, but noone will listen to the boy who has already cried wolf time and time and time again.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
And, can we please stop groping 6-yr olds at the airport? In the name of 'security'?

Oct 2010
USA
It would be nice to have our rights back, but now OBL's death will be used for even more Big Brother, mark my words. They'll say terrorists are gunning for us more than ever to avenge his death, so we'll lose more rights and people will just roll over and let it happen. Our rights aren't coming back. Period.

This is why I protest new laws. Because we don't backtrack in America, once a door is open it's open for good.

May 2006
Bizzaro Werld

First of all, where is proof thi is what he wanted? Second, bringin justice to politicians here at home....would of course require the rejection of Obama's run in 2012. The politician who has built a jail housing four times Gitmo's popultion. The candidate who has kept Gitmo open against his own promise and now engaged in tribunals for deatinees there. The candidate who has expanded and extended the Patriot Act. Even befor ehis election in 2008, in fact right prior to it, Obama voted for the Surveillance Act allowing for wiretapping and company records access......and you sheep who were able baaaa-ed on up and pulled Obama's lever. So talking the talk real real easy Wind...and especially those that thanked that post...bringing politicians to justice here and thus walking the walk much much more difficult and you and I both know none of you liberals are gonna do that.
Would you be OK with Bush and Obama sharing a cell in Ft. Levenworth? I mean, they could keep each other company and would have the shared experience of having been President to talk about? Fair enough for you?

Jul 2011
Detention Block AA-23
And, can we please stop groping 6-yr olds at the airport? In the name of 'security'?
Yes, this, at the very freaking least, this.

Can we abolish or seriously curb the TSA while we're at it? Please?

Feb 2010
See the thing is Old School, I read "built a jail housing four times Gitmo's population" and "expanded and extended the Patriot Act" and I think, "Wow? Really? I didn't know that. What an a-hole this administr.... wait a second.... engaged in tribunals for detainees in Gitmo? That's not true. That was a judge. That had nothing whatsoever to do with Obama, Obama was against that he just lost. I mean I guess you could say he should have tried harder, or he should have protested more... but it's a lie to say he had soemthing to do with the decision. A straight up lie. Blaming him for any and everything that happens, with no logic or sense.
:moron:

And I thought I was inept at Canadian politics, you don;t have a f'n clue what you're spouting off on right here, go somewhere else. This last Canada election must have you all discncerted, yer talking out your arse, Inspector.

F'n tighten up.