Time to shine: Solar power is fastest-growing source of new energy

Sep 2013
On a hill
Renewables accounted for two-thirds of new power added to world’s grids last year, says International Energy Agency

Adam Vaughan Energy correspondent
Wednesday 4 October 2017 03.00 EDT

Solar power was the fastest-growing source of new energy worldwide last year, outstripping the growth in all other forms of power generation for the first time and leading experts to hail a “new era”.

Renewable energy accounted for two-thirds of new power added to the world’s grids in 2016, the International Energy Agency said, but the group found solar was the technology that shone brightest.

New solar capacity even overtook the net growth in coal, previously the biggest new source of power generation. The shift was driven by falling prices and government policies, particularly in China, which accounted for almost half the solar panels installed.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/04/solar-power-renewables-international-energy-agency

Jul 2014
midwest
Good for solar.

It's the future, and that's a good thing.

I'm waiting for it to become economically advantageous for me, and I'll be looking for my own system.

It's not there yet for my house.

Getting closer every year...

May 2012
By the wall
They seem to think we are against solar but we aren't.

It has its place but until it becomes more affordable and accessible it will not replace fossil fuels.

When it can match fossil fuels in cost and convenience I would be more than happy to switch.

Jul 2014
midwest
They seem to think we are against solar but we aren't.

It has its place but until it becomes more affordable and accessible it will not replace fossil fuels.

When it can match fossil fuels in cost and convenience I would be more than happy to switch.
I'm not against solar.

I'm not even against solar that loses money, if that's what someone wants and can afford.

I'm against solar that does not make economic sense for ME.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Solar power has its place, but there's no way I'll equip my home until the technology is sufficiently efficient and inexpensive that I can recoup my investment within three years.

Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2014
midwest
Solar power has its place, but there's no way I'll equip my home until the technology is sufficiently efficient and inexpensive that I can recoup my investment within three years.
Agree.

For me, last I checked, it's still gonna take about a decade to recoup my investment.

Some day it may make sense, financially, but not yet.