Tisha B'Av

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Judaism 101: Tisha B'Av

Though Saturday (8/10/19) was actually the 9th of Av, we do not fast on Shabbat (except for Yom Kippur), so it is instead observed on the 10th of Av, which is Sunday (8/11/19).

(Fasting is very difficult for some of us, especially for the approximately 25 hours this one lasts. Yom Kippur is actually easier.)

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
Judaism 101: Tisha B'Av

Though Saturday (8/10/19) was actually the 9th of Av, we do not fast on Shabbat (except for Yom Kippur), so it is instead observed on the 10th of Av, which is Sunday (8/11/19).

(Fasting is very difficult for some of us, especially for the approximately 25 hours this one lasts. Yom Kippur is actually easier.)

Did I read that incorrectly or are there actually two fasts in three weeks?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Did I read that incorrectly or are there actually two fasts in three weeks?
That is correct. The fast of Tisha B'Av is exactly three weeks after the fast of Shiva Asar B'Tammuz. Note, however, that the latter (which comes first) is a minor fast lasting only from sunup to sundown, while today is a major fast lasting from sundown yesterday until nightfall tonight.

There are specific observances of the three weeks, and even more of the nine days from Rosh Chodesh Av (i.e., the first of the month of Av) through Tisha B'Av.