Today's trip to the bookstore...

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Working on that, too.

I don't understand ... you say that like it's a chore ... :confused:

I know ... that's why I never read them.
The reason I push the Library is because I purchased so many books for years, mostly hardbacks, read all the latest. But read so many my house was over loaded. I never read them again.

So the last few years I have been purging. Not just books, but everything. Each year I get rid of more. I let my kids take what they want, give the rest to Charity.

Different stages of life.:)

The Library costs nothing. If they do not have the book you want they reserve it for you.

Reactions: labrea
Dec 2013
Switzerland

View attachment 27329

To be fair, I will probably go digital eventually, at least for certain things. But I will still not give up the print collection. Can't beat books.
You respect your religious traditions and you refuse to read digital on shabbat. What supplementary dimension does it bring to your life ? And for what an end do you refrain from doing things which did not exist at the times these rules were set ? Is it possible to project a tradition in the future when you live in a totally different background from the one in which your forefathers were during generations ? I share with you the pleasure to read real books and digital has not the same taste for me...
Nothing beats a good print library. Besides, I cannot read digital on Shabbat or holidays.

Dec 2013
Switzerland
The reason I push the Library is because I purchased so many books for years, mostly hardbacks, read all the latest. But read so many my house was over loaded. I never read them again.

So the last few years I have been purging. Not just books, but everything. Each year I get rid of more. I let my kids take what they want, give the rest to Charity.

Different stages of life.:)

The Library costs nothing. If they do not have the book you want they reserve it for you.
You are right, there are books you never read again. What I do is to bring them to an abandoned phone booth. We have many in my country because everyone has a mobile phone. They are often just close to the post office and people can pick what books they want.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
You are right, there are books you never read again. What I do is to bring them to an abandoned phone booth. We have many in my country because everyone has a mobile phone. They are often just close to the post office and people can pick what books they want.
Good idea! Mine went to the Boy Scouts for their sale in the Church Parking lot. Then I am sure they went to Charities. But I have not seen a phone booth in years. Too long to say.:)

How many middle class have Libraries now?

But am sure Attorney’s have collected Law Books.

Dec 2013
Switzerland
In my country middle class people have still books and shelves for them. Where I live in an area where about 50000 people are living, we have at least 4 book stores providing general literature.

Reactions: MaryAnne and labrea
Dec 2013
Switzerland
But I consider that it is important to buy books if we want writers to be able to live. Until now ther was nothing to pay at the public Library for books, but we are going to have a new IP law and we will have to pay something when there is a still valid copyright.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I do read books again, though, in addition to new ones.