Today's trip to the bookstore...

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I assume you have read Foundation and Earth before!! It is the real culmination of the Foundation saga, though I think Asimov had planned one more book in the series.
Yes. I had just never owned a copy before, so I've only read it once.
I was enthralled with Prelude to Foundation and disappointed with Foundation and Chaos.
Same deal with Prelude. I have not read Forward the Foundation (which the store did not have in paperback) or any of the newer stories (including Chaos).
I like Greg Bear as a sci-fi author, and I think have recommended him before to you. IIRC, you have not yet read anything by him. I do think he has written much better books than Eon, though.
I had previously owned a read a copy of Eon - at the time, the only one in the series - but do not remember it, and I wanted to get in there and read the series. I also have and have read (several times) The Infinity Concerto and The Serpent Mage (later collected into a single volume called Songs of Earth and Power).
The ONLY Gerrold novel I have read is When Harlie Was One. I should probably try another one by him.
Harlie is great ... he actually did a re-release called When Harlie Was One: Release 2.0, which was published in 1988 (16 years after the original) to update some technological things. Everything else is unchanged. I have a copy of that one, but no longer the original. :(

For another one to try, look up Starhunt. It was originally published in 1972 (then entitled Yesterday's Children), but he published it again in 1985 with several chapters added at the end, for a more satisfying ending (depending, of course, on how you like your endings). I have both versions.

The War Against the Chtorr is his as yet unfinished series (really one long-ass novel), with only 4 books to date. He's (supposedly almost done with 5 and 6, with 7 not far behind. I just hope he lives long enough to finish it himself.

Reactions: BigLeRoy
Jun 2007
Wisconsin
C. J. Cherryh is one of my favorites. Cyteen and Downbelow Station are great reads. Part of the Aliance-Union universe she created.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Jack L. Chalker is another of my favorites. He sadly passed away at the young age of 60 (back in early '05). The first thing of his I read was The Four Lords of the Diamond series ... a loaner from a friend in high school. I was hooked. Next was the Well World series (only 5 books at that time). Still haven't read everything he wrote, but definitely a majority (42 books). I still have some of them (I exchanged the Four Lords for a couple other books & never traded back) ... more to be part of the library rebuilding project.