Too Much Bureaucracy!?!?

Dec 2018
Florida
I sat in in a school board meeting last night. And it struck me why this county and many others have problems. The amount of bureaucracy that weighs on our public schools is a tragic joke. Between standardized tests and teachers unions and all of that? Does it strike anyone else that our schools might be better served with a clearer and stronger control system for administration and teachers with less red tape when it comes to actually servicing their community?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
While I cannot opine in your particular case, as I was not there, there is a reason these things are the way they are. I.e., things would not be so if there were not reasons for why. Standardized testing has a purpose. Teachers' unions have a purpose. "Too much bureaucracy," without specifics, sounds more like frustration than a problem of its own ... after all, how does one define "too much"? What is an acceptable level, and why?

Reactions: HCProf
Nov 2018
Maryland
Many people love more bureaucracy. It's a way to control others. Under Obama, for example, we had a record number of regulations, which hurt small business, because it meant they had to hire more and more lawyers to make sure they were in compliant. Regulations are a necessity, but to put them in place to punish businesses is not efficient.

Trump rolled back many of those regulations, and businesses are doing much better, hiring more people and most importantly, wages are rising.

People are scrambling to be in compliant, like standardized testing. Teachers (not all) basically teach the test, because if students perform poorly on the test, the teachers are scrutinized.

Teachers unions are more intent on protecting teachers and advocating for teachers, which is fine, except the true purpose of a teacher is to teach and sometimes that get's lost in all of the bureaucracy.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Many people love more bureaucracy. It's a way to control others. Under Obama, for example, we had a record number of regulations, which hurt small business, because it meant they had to hire more and more lawyers to make sure they were in compliant. Regulations are a necessity, but to put them in place to punish businesses is not efficient.

Trump rolled back many of those regulations, and businesses are doing much better, hiring more people and most importantly, wages are rising.

People are scrambling to be in compliant, like standardized testing. Teachers (not all) basically teach the test, because if students perform poorly on the test, the teachers are scrutinized.

Teachers unions are more intent on protecting teachers and advocating for teachers, which is fine, except the true purpose of a teacher is to teach and sometimes that get's lost in all of the bureaucracy.
This post is almost completely nonsensical. I would have to charge by the hour to respond to it.