Top Republicans In Congress Break With Trump Over Putin Comments

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
This doesn't happen enough, and not just on the conservative side. Our elected representatives should have the courage and the responsibility to call out things that are wrong, not just even if it's exhibited by members of their own party, but ESPECIALLY if it's exhibited by members of their own party.

Good on these people... but, that praise comes with a bit of a caveat. Sadly, it appears that one of the things that gives some people the courage to speak up is that they have the freedom of knowing they won't be running for reelection. So, it's a good thing, but it'd be nice to hear more from those with something to lose for speaking out.

House Speaker Paul Ryan contradicted several comments Trump made during his Helsinki news conference, most notably backing the US intelligence community assessment that Russia meddled with the US 2016 presidential election.

"There is no question that Russia interfered in our election and continues attempts to undermine democracy here and around the world," said Ryan, a Republican from Wisconsin, in a statement. "That is not just the finding of the American intelligence community but also the House Committee on Intelligence."

Ryan continued, "The president must appreciate that Russia is not our ally. There is no moral equivalence between the United States and Russia, which remains hostile to our most basic values and ideals. The United States must be focused on holding Russia accountable and putting an end to its vile attacks on democracy."

<snip>

Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican who has consistently criticized the President, said Trump's comments were "one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory."

<snip>

Senate Foreign Relations Chairman Bob Corker said the President "made us look like a pushover" and that Putin was probably eating caviar on the plane home.

"I was very disappointed and saddened with the equivalency that he gave between them (the US intelligence agencies) and what Putin was saying," said Corker, a Tennessee Republican who is not seeking re-election.

<snip>

Republican Sen. Ben Sasse, a Republican from Nebraska, issued a blistering statement just minutes after the press conference wrapped.

Sasse rebuked Trump's statement that he held "both countries responsible" for the deteriorated relationship between the United States and Russia.

"This is bizarre and flat-out wrong. The United States is not to blame. America wants a good relationship with the Russian people but Vladimir Putin and his thugs are responsible for Soviet-style aggression," Sasse said in the statement. "When the President plays these moral equivalence games, he gives Putin a propaganda win he desperately needs."

<snip>

Illinois Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger called Trump's comments rebuking the US intelligence community assessment "a disservice," though he did not mention Trump by name.

"The American people deserve the truth, & to disregard the legitimacy of our intelligence officials is a disservice to the men & women who serve this country. It's time to wake up & face reality. #Putin is not our friend; he's an enemy to our freedom," Kinzinger tweeted.

<snip>

New Jersey Republican Frank LoBiondo, who chairs the House CIA subcommittee, also said Trump missed an opportunity to grill Putin.

"I strongly disagree w/ statement that Russia did not meddle in 2016 election. With all I have seen on House Intel Comm & additional indictments of 12 Russian officers last week, it is clear Russia's intentions. President Trump missed opportunity to hold Putin publicly accountable," tweeted LoBiondo, who is not running for re-election.

Reactions: 15 people
Feb 2007
In my mind
Was there ever any doubt that the president would fuck this up and kiss Putin's ass?

It is stupid shit like Trump's virtual public fellating of Putin today that leads me to believe there really are videos featuring Russian prostitutes, urine, and Trump.

Or at least Trump owes his greatly exaggerated fortune to Putin helping pay for his idiocy.

Reactions: 3 people

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Was there ever any doubt that the president would fuck this up and kiss Putin's ass?

It is stupid shit like Trump's virtual public fellating of Putin today that leads me to believe there really are videos featuring Russian prostitutes, urine, and Trump.

Or at least Trump owes his greatly exaggerated fortune to Putin helping pay for his idiocy.
Both, but more the latter.

Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2014
Border Fence
Way too little way too late.

The GOP will let Trump run amok. Trump knows he can do or say anything he wants.

Congress can give a shit what the Russians did.

Reactions: 2 people
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Way too little way too late.

The GOP will let Trump run amok. Trump knows he can do or say anything he wants.

Congress can give a shit what the Russians did.
Appears to be all the same GOPers that never approved of Trump, McCain, Sasse, Flake etc. I really would like to see some others come forward and at least say "yea he messed up here." At the very least. But none so far.

Reactions: 2 people

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
This doesn't happen enough, and not just on the conservative side. Our elected representatives should have the courage and the responsibility to call out things that are wrong, not just even if it's exhibited by members of their own party, but ESPECIALLY if it's exhibited by members of their own party.

Good on these people... but, that praise comes with a bit of a caveat. Sadly, it appears that one of the things that gives some people the courage to speak up is that they have the freedom of knowing they won't be running for reelection. So, it's a good thing, but it'd be nice to hear more from those with something to lose for speaking out.

House Speaker Paul Ryan contradicted several comments Trump made during his Helsinki news conference, most notably backing the US intelligence community assessment that Russia meddled with the US 2016 presidential election.

"There is no question that Russia interfered in our election and continues attempts to undermine democracy here and around the world," said Ryan, a Republican from Wisconsin, in a statement. "That is not just the finding of the American intelligence community but also the House Committee on Intelligence."

Ryan continued, "The president must appreciate that Russia is not our ally. There is no moral equivalence between the United States and Russia, which remains hostile to our most basic values and ideals. The United States must be focused on holding Russia accountable and putting an end to its vile attacks on democracy."

<snip>

Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican who has consistently criticized the President, said Trump's comments were "one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory."

<snip>

Senate Foreign Relations Chairman Bob Corker said the President "made us look like a pushover" and that Putin was probably eating caviar on the plane home.

"I was very disappointed and saddened with the equivalency that he gave between them (the US intelligence agencies) and what Putin was saying," said Corker, a Tennessee Republican who is not seeking re-election.

<snip>

Republican Sen. Ben Sasse, a Republican from Nebraska, issued a blistering statement just minutes after the press conference wrapped.

Sasse rebuked Trump's statement that he held "both countries responsible" for the deteriorated relationship between the United States and Russia.

"This is bizarre and flat-out wrong. The United States is not to blame. America wants a good relationship with the Russian people but Vladimir Putin and his thugs are responsible for Soviet-style aggression," Sasse said in the statement. "When the President plays these moral equivalence games, he gives Putin a propaganda win he desperately needs."

<snip>

Illinois Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger called Trump's comments rebuking the US intelligence community assessment "a disservice," though he did not mention Trump by name.

"The American people deserve the truth, & to disregard the legitimacy of our intelligence officials is a disservice to the men & women who serve this country. It's time to wake up & face reality. #Putin is not our friend; he's an enemy to our freedom," Kinzinger tweeted.

<snip>

New Jersey Republican Frank LoBiondo, who chairs the House CIA subcommittee, also said Trump missed an opportunity to grill Putin.

"I strongly disagree w/ statement that Russia did not meddle in 2016 election. With all I have seen on House Intel Comm & additional indictments of 12 Russian officers last week, it is clear Russia's intentions. President Trump missed opportunity to hold Putin publicly accountable," tweeted LoBiondo, who is not running for re-election.
yeah but will the US Senate actually do anything about baby trump's tantrums? I hope so but doubt it.

Reactions: 3 people

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Monday said that Russia is not a friend of the U.S. and that he supports the intelligence community’s finding that Moscow meddled in the 2016 election.

“I have said a number of times, I’ll say it again: The Russians are not our friends. And I entirely believe the assessment of our intelligence community,” McConnell told reporters

Several GOP senators have publicly pushed back against Trump’s rhetoric.

"President Putin ordered an influence campaign aimed at the 2016 U.S. elections with the goal of undermining faith in our democratic process. Russia has conducted a coordinated cyberattack on state election systems, and hacked critical infrastructure. They have used social media to sow chaos," Burr said in a statement.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/397281-mcconnell-russians-are-not-our-friends?__twitter_impression=true

Well gee Mitch, would of been nice if you had cooperated with Obama on that joint statement on Russia. You knew at the time just what Russia was up to. But you didn't and now you have this lunatic sitting in the WH, which YOU helped create.

Reactions: 6 people
Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio

That hold over Trump is being said all over today.

And Republican Senators are having an emergency meeting after Schumer spoke out asking them to join them.

Reactions: 6 people

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
Not for anything, but it’s near impossible, to distinguish between those members who are showing courage vs those not worrying about Re-election vs those who are “appearing” to be in the first category!

Jmo

Reactions: 7 people