Top Ten Problems with Urban Sprawl and Suburbia

Jul 2011
Tennessee
What about when gasoline is $7.00 a gallon?

What about when large scale disasters cut off the food sources for your city 1000 miles away?

Great book that I'd like to suggest. Collapse, by Jared Diamond.
i live in a small city, 175,000. my conveniences are 5-10 minutes away.

Sep 2009
So what Morgan and the rest of the Liberals are saying is we should abandon the idea of private property and space and all get crammed into apartment complexes. Sorry but the housing project failure is the key reason why it will never work.
So completely wrong, I wonder if you have any concept of a thought process still left within you. If you wish to rationally discuss the problems with sprawl that I have presented, I will do so, but I will no longer respond to your trolling.

Reactions: Dr Sampson Simpson
Jul 2011
Who Asked??
So completely wrong, I wonder if you have any concept of a thought process still left within you. If you wish to rationally discuss the problems with sprawl that I have presented, I will do so, but I will no longer respond to your trolling.
How am I wrong? So-called "smart urban planning" has already been tried and found wanting. Face it. People love their space and being crammed in a 10 story building with other tenants is not exactly desirable.

Reactions: One
Sep 2009
i live in a small city, 175,000. my conveniences are 5-10 minutes away.
I didn't edit my post in time, but I would like to ask the question.

What are you dependent on in your day to day life?

I might also add that your situation is not a normal situation for most urban Americans.

Sep 2009
How am I wrong? So-called "smart urban planning" has already been tried and found wanting. Face it. People love their space and being crammed in a 10 story building with other tenants is not exactly desirable.
Smart Growth is not the government housing initiative. Try again.

Jul 2011
Tennessee
I didn't edit my post in time, but I would like to ask the question.

What are you dependent on in your day to day life?

I might also add that your situation is not a normal situation for most urban Americans.
food and water.

Sep 2009
So-called "smart growth" is basically the exact same concept. Cramming everyone into urban areas and screw the 'burbs.
No, it's really not. I'd like to know who you get your information from, because they're very stupid.

Smart Growth is about ensuring that development now is prepared for the future, and is not focused on short-term goals. It is, in effect, sustainable development. Smart Growth seeks to inject choice in development when there is currently none now. Read the last argument on my OP.

The goals of Smart Growth are to have communites designed in a way that actually makes them communities. Walkability, mass transit, dense development. It's all private property too.

One of the better solutions to urban sprawl is fewer zoning laws. This allows for business and residence to mingle, and grow with demand.

Someone can live out in the county or in some other auto-dependent area if they want to, but they need to be ready to shovel out money for it. We should no longer have official policy that, in effect, subsidizes urban sprawl.