Tottenham in flames as riot follows protest

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Tottenham in flames as riot follows protest
Two police cars, a bus and *several shops were attacked and set ablaze in north London on Saturday night as violence erupted following a protest demanding "justice" over a fatal police shooting.

Riots erupt in Tottenham with police cars, a bus and shops set on fire. Photograph: Sky News

Officers on horseback and others in riot gear clashed with hundreds of *rioters armed with makeshift missiles in the centre of Tottenham after Mark Duggan, 29, a father of four, was killed on Thursday.

At one point, rioters broke through police ranks and attempted to storm Tottenham's police station, pelting officers with bricks, bottles and eggs. As a police helicopter flew over Tottenham High Road, youths in masks and hoods added combustible material to two burned out police cars, included a bundle of documents and an awning ripped down from one of the shops. Some attempted to persuade the rioters to disperse, one young man shouting: "Go home now people."

But others filled bottles with petrol to throw at the police lines. Many lined up with makeshift weapons including metal bars and baseball bats to confront the line of police, but others seemed more interested in looting. At one stage a safe was dragged out of a book*makers, while others were seen with a television set and an electric guitar. Several arrived with shopping trollies to take away what they had stolen.

"It wasn't like this before," said one woman standing close to one of the two burned-out police cars. "It started out as a peaceful demonstration. The police shot a guy here last week and they lied about what happened. They said he pulled a gun but he wouldn't have done that with armed police. They shot him so badly that his mother could not recognise him."

A Metropolitan police spokesman said the trouble began when missiles were thrown at parked patrol cars at 8.30pm. He said one was pushed, blazing, into the middle of Tottenham High Road. Neither of the two officers who had been driving the cars was injured.

As violence spread, a double-decker bus was set upon. Witnesses said the vehicle exploded in flames after attackers threw homemade bombs through its windows. Nearby shops were also set ablaze.

more: Tottenham in flames as riot follows protest | UK news | The Observer

Wow. Is it just me, or is taking to the streets like, REALLY catching on around the world!? I don't think I've ever heard of as many mass protests and demonstrations (violent kind, and peaceful kind) as I have over the last year.

Shoot, the CANADIANS threw a riot over losing the Stanley Cup!

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Anarchy! Anarchy! Anarchy!

jeezzz idiots. The guy killed was armed and shooting at the police when he was killed. durr.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
Britains punishment for centuries of empire. Karma.
Which will be nothing compared to America's punishment for a few minutes of Justin Bieber - the stupid little prick does not know what German means! :f_yikes:

[video=youtube;Kl1bCsynpjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl1bCsynpjg&feature=fvwrel[/video]

Mar 2010
Hong Kong
Britains punishment for centuries of empire. Karma.
That's it? Centuries of empire with all it's brutality and a few nights rioting is the payback?

It must be the balanced approach of the karma King who also sees centuries of Empire as the giver of English liberty to the world, starting with the United States of America!

What we see now is the richness of British society as the multicultural mother country now sees it's people unite across racial divides to face down the lawlessness. No other country that I know has had any similar reaction to riots on their streets.

It must be the imperialist effect of cricket which gives English men and women of all colours and creeds the simple appreciation of fair play.

Mar 2010
Hong Kong
yup thats what the reports are now saying, that he never opened fire. Any word yet on the investigation that the police are conducting?
Something funny went on. I think the result of the enquiry will take some time.

Aug 2010
Just wait and see. Queen nanny state will shower the rioters with gifts now. If any are convicted they'll get an ankle bracelet and "house arrest" .. and bigger welfare checks.

Queen nanny state will start up a "work program"

Mar 2010
Hong Kong
Just wait and see. Queen nanny state will shower the rioters with gifts now. If any are convicted they'll get an ankle bracelet and "house arrest" .. and bigger welfare checks.

Queen nanny state will start up a "work program"
Drivel. Again, more simple bollocks from the Right.