Trade Wars are easy to win - the ongoing saga

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
Contrary to the beliefs of many Trump supporters who were insisting that China would fare worse than the US and thus need to settle this, it ain't so.

Chinese stocks are outperforming U.S. markets

Data: FactSet; Chart: Chris Canipe/Axios
In a reverse of expectations of how each country would fare in a growing trade war, China's market has significantly outperformed the U.S. benchmark.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I wish someone would tell us what the goal of this thing is. All I've heard is "intellectual property" so I'm assuming we're going to wreck the whole damn economy so outsourcers don't have to worry about their ideas being stolen.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Contrary to the beliefs of many Trump supporters who were insisting that China would fare worse than the US and thus need to settle this, it ain't so.

Data: FactSet; Chart: Chris Canipe/Axios
In a reverse of expectations of how each country would fare in a growing trade war, China's market has significantly outperformed the U.S. benchmark.

Well, in truth, NEITHER the Chinese nor the American stock markets have done well this past year, and your graph shows that for the past several months at least. Which simply goes to show that trade wars are profoundly negative-sum, lose-lose games, which damage BOTH parties, or ALL parties, if more than two nations are involved.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Well, in truth, NEITHER the Chinese nor the American stock markets have done well this past year, and your graph shows that for the past several months at least. Which simply goes to show that trade wars are profoundly negative-sum, lose-lose games, which damage BOTH parties, or ALL parties, if more than two nations are involved.
Oh I can assure you that more than two nations are involved.