Transgender Day of Remembrance

Dec 2006
required field
I know it's early, but we're on track to meet or exceed our total from last year. Again.

As of mid-September 2018, 21 homicides of trans Americans have been reported. The first known victim was Christa Leigh Steele-Knudslien, 42, of North Adams, Mass. The founder of the Miss Trans America and Miss Trans New England pageants, she was stabbed to death at her home January 5.

Setting the Record Straight

Most people and news outlets again are misgendering many of the victims, but you know about one of them already. You just don't know you know. That's part of the problem. These numbers I post every year are underrepresented. A lot of these murders go uncounted because the police and media misgender the victim. Add to that the fact that many of them are forced into survival sex work means nobody cares what happens to them. Nobody cares what happens to sex workers in general, but they care even less about trans sex workers. A lot of people would be happy to see trans people disappear altogether.

Nikki Enriquez, 28, of Laredo, Texas, was found dead near Interstate 35 in south Texas September 15. She has been shot in the head. Juan David Ortiz, 35, an intelligence supervisor for the U.S. Border Patrol, is charged with murdering Enriquez and three other women.

These Are the Trans People Killed in 2018

How it was reported by other media:

The slayings of the three women and one man and the assault occurred between Sept. 3 and early Saturday morning, authorities said in an arrest warrant and affidavit. The victims were described as sex workers by Webb County District Attorney Isidro Alaniz.
Border Patrol agent fatally shot 4 sex workers in the head

To recap, in the United States there were this many trans people ~officially~ killed. The true number is definitely a lot higher.

2015 - 27
2016 - 23
2017 - 25
2018 - ? (at least 21 so far)

These Are the Trans People Killed in 2018

Transgender Day of Remembrance 2015 - Trans Murder Monitoring Update - TvT
– TDoR 2016 Press Release
– Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDoR) [2017]

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
That's horrible. I had heard about the border patrol murders, but wasn't aware that one of them was transgender. In fact I wasn't aware that the misgendering of murder victims was so common. That's fucked up and it's even more fucked up that people will probably blame the victim for her own murder. :(

Dec 2006
required field
Sadly, it's very common.

Victims of anti-transgender violence are overwhelmingly transgender women of color, who live at the dangerous intersections of transphobia, racism, sexism, and criminalization which often lead to high rates of poverty, unemployment, and homelessness. While some homicides have not yet been identified as hate crimes due to lack of information about the perpetrators or motives, the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs reports an alarming multi-year trend showing that transgender women experience a greater risk of death by hate violence than any other group.
In 2017, 26 transgender people were killed in the United States and nearly all of the victims were transgender women of color. This number does not include transgender people whose deaths were not reported due to misgendering in police reports, news stories, and sometimes by the victim's family.
GLAAD calls for increased and accurate media coverage of transgender murders

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I always felt extra empathy for black women because it's hard enough just being female but to be black and female would be especially hard. But wow, being black, female and transgender is a new level of hard. It's brutal. This society has so much work to do.

Jul 2015
Maryland USA
If a transgender is attacked or killed solely because they are transgender, under current law or standards, would it be considered and prosecuted as a hate crime. If not, it certainly should be.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I always felt extra empathy for black women because it's hard enough just being female but to be black and female would be especially hard. But wow, being black, female and transgender is a new level of hard. It's brutal. This society has so much work to do.
I don't think it's that much work to instill into people that you don't have a right to make anyone else conform to your ideas of what society should be if they aren't doing a damn thing to harm you other than existing.

Lesson from my childhood: My mom told me she once found a small toy on the ground and went to pick it up and her father asked "Is that yours?" She replied "no", and he told her to leave it alone.

Applies here. If it's not yours, leave it the fuck alone. I'm sure in some twisted way, people think they have a right to control other people's bodies based on "society blah blah blah" or "my kids blah blah blah" but it's just a load of crap, IMO. Same with the bathroom issue. It's just an excuse for people to use in trying to make everyone else just like them.

I hate that shit.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I don't think it's that much work to instill into people that you don't have a right to make anyone else conform to your ideas of what society should be if they aren't doing a damn thing to harm you other than existing.

Lesson from my childhood: My mom told me she once found a small toy on the ground and went to pick it up and her father asked "Is that yours?" She replied "no", and he told her to leave it alone.

Applies here. If it's not yours, leave it the fuck alone. I'm sure in some twisted way, people think they have a right to control other people's bodies based on "society blah blah blah" or "my kids blah blah blah" but it's just a load of crap, IMO. Same with the bathroom issue. It's just an excuse for people to use in trying to make everyone else just like them.

I hate that shit.
Exactly. Everybody needs to just mind their own damn business and quit trying to make everyone in your own image just because it makes you feel more comfortable. Diversity is so offensive to some people.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
If a transgender is attacked or killed solely because they are transgender, under current law or standards, would it be considered and prosecuted as a hate crime. If not, it certainly should be.
In the case of murder, the hate crime aspect of it doesn't add much in the way of penalties and can ultimately backfire if the prosecution uses that and that alone as motive. Transphobics on the jury might begin to sympathize with the killer if the victim is defined that way. Because first and foremost, transgender individuals are human beings and we all need to see them and treat them as such regardless of how we may feel about their gender identity. Especially in court.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Exactly. Everybody needs to just mind their own damn business and quit trying to make everyone in your own image just because it makes you feel more comfortable. Diversity is so offensive to some people.
There's actually people who say disparaging things about people with disabilities that affect their appearance. "I don't like looking at them". Seriously, how fucked up is that? If I were God I'd strike those people blind for a few weeks just to give them some perspective on what someone's appearance means in relation to their character, which is not a damn thing.

Jul 2015
Maryland USA
In the case of murder, the hate crime aspect of it doesn't add much in the way of penalties and can ultimately backfire if the prosecution uses that and that alone as motive. Transphobics on the jury might begin to sympathize with the killer if the victim is defined that way. Because first and foremost, transgender individuals are human beings and we all need to see them and treat them as such regardless of how we may feel about their gender identity. Especially in court.
I certainly understand the logic of your post. I totally agree, as I would guess any reasonable and mature person would, that transgenders are first and foremost human beings and should be seen and treated as such. Perhaps its because I am naive and freely admit to being so many times, it was my perception that hate crime designations were a means to provide some additional protection to certain defined classes of individuals though increased and tougher penalties. I would agree that in the case of first degree murder, the hate crime designation would not add much. However, with second degree murder and assault cases, the hate crime aspect could impact the degree of sentencing. I would hope that the "voir dire" process would prevent judgments based on bias toward any class of individuals.

If the hate crime designation could inhibit the proper verdict and sentencing for crimes against transgenders, could not the same be said for all persons where such designation applies. Moreover, if society places hate crime aspects on actions against other classes of individuals but not transgenders, on some level, would that not be a statement regarding societies perspective of transgenders.