Transgender Day of Remembrance

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish I could say something to give you some hope, but the climate in this country has become so intolerant it's off the charts and I really don't know what is to become of us if people don't stop.
Religion is to blame. I notice it even in back in Russia too, where it is hardline religious Orthodox Christian and Muslim folks who are now pushing all sorts of anti-LGBT bigotry. Atheist people who grew back in USSR (even though all those things, homosexuality, transgenderism, were criminalized back then, AS was religion too, for the most part lol) don't seem to give nearly as much of a damn about it as the religious, who are bloody obsessed with it. I am a believer myself, baptized Orthodox since birth... and even I have began to see it as a mental illness, at this point...

Dec 2006
required field
Religion plays a part, but more than that is toxic masculinity.

No, I don't mean being masculine is toxic.

But enforcing rigid gender roles is toxic behavior. Enforcing them to the point of killing someone is regarded as normal behavior by far too large of a segment of the population, here and around the world.

They'd rather murder us than admit they're attracted to us. The thought of losing their masculinity is so terrifying to them that they beat us to death with lead pipes, stab us with knives, shoot us in the face with shotguns, and dump our bodies in the river. The cops don't fucking care. The papers misgender us. The public dismisses us. Our families try to hide us. That's what we are reminded of every year on this day.

That's toxic masculinity. And religion doesn't have the market cornered on it.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Religion plays a part, but more than that is toxic masculinity.

No, I don't mean being masculine is toxic.

But enforcing rigid gender roles is toxic behavior. Enforcing them to the point of killing someone is regarded as normal behavior by far too large of a segment of the population, here and around the world.

They'd rather murder us than admit they're attracted to us. The thought of losing their masculinity is so terrifying to them that they beat us to death with lead pipes, stab us with knives, shoot us in the face with shotguns, and dump our bodies in the river. The cops don't fucking care. The papers misgender us. The public dismisses us. Our families try to hide us. That's what we are reminded of every year on this day.

That's toxic masculinity. And religion doesn't have the market cornered on it.
That's true, and that shit is also everywhere, regardless of culture and religion...

I recall, during the World Cup in Russia, in the summer, during the Russia vs. Saudi Arabia match, first game of the Cup, British and other foreign media were posting pics of female fans in the stands, comparing the half naked Russian chicks with the burqa-d up Saudi gals

You can guess which way their sympathies were going, not to the Sauds haha

But, they didn't get it, you know...

Russian women wearing far less than the Saudis did not mean they were somehow more free. If that were true, a woman over there would not be killed every 40 minutes in domestic violence incidents: Russia's Disappearing Women: Every Forty Minutes A Woman Dies From Domestic Violence

Among other things... :(

In fact, there are remarkable similarities, in that both Saudi women wrap themselves up as they do, because their men mandate it; and, similarly, women in Russia, for most part, dress sexy like that, and wear not much, wearing mini-skirts even in the cold winter, high heels on bloody ice, potentially leg breaking endeavor

because this is expected and even demanded, in many ways, by the men there, as well.

I just recently had a fascinating conversation with a lady back in Moscow, another ex-classmate of mine. I was showing her pics of where I live here in Canada, the streets, interesting buildings and such, and she was noting the people I captured also in my photos, especially young women, who would be wearing every day clothes, shorts, yoga pants, just regular stuff, running shoes. Even pajama pants lol She was shocked by this. "Here, I would never go out like this. I would become a social pariah, at the very least... A woman has to always look good, period..." That's the philosophy, over there, perfectionism, for women, at least.

No such pressure on MEN, however, over there, which is why I see all the social media pics over there, these guys who look like complete douche bags, to me, with super hot girls

Just seems totally unfair. Those ladies deserve much better...

Only expectation on men is to be tough, strong, be able to defend your woman from gopniks (street thugs), etc... Itself, to be fair, quite demanding and not always reasonable.

The intolerance toward LGBTs, IMHO, stems in part from the fact that so many men (up to 1 in 3) have been through the prison system there. The "lowering" (i.e. forcible rape) of men in the prison camps by other inmates is a common practice there, especially practiced on those serving sentences for various sexual crimes, particularly child molesters, who suffer especially gruesome violence; but snitches, for instance, who rat on fellow prisoners to the guards, can get "lowered" as punishment too. It is seen as pretty much the worst thing that can happen to a man over there. Some, like aforementioned child molesters, become permanently "lowered", basically it doesn't just occur to them once, but they are branded with special tattoos denoting their status, and are then considered fair game for any inmate who wants some flesh. Plenty are forced to wear female clothes and wigs and make up, respond to feminine names, and otherwise their identity is basically changed, they become property of the other inmates, no longer human beings. I have even heard of some being castrated too. Such inmates are often referred to as "petukhi" ("roosters"), perhaps for how they scream when they are gang raped... That's the worst thing you can call another man in Russia, a petukh. You can be murdered for calling someone that...

And homosexuality and transgenderism, in the minds of many, is also associated with all that. Many people there could never grasp that male on male sex can be in a positive context of actual love, to them, it is only a violent phenomenon in a prison camp cell...

That's probably a big part of why homosexuality has such negative perceptions there, still...