Transgender track athlete wins CT state championship, debate ensues

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Terry Miller and Andraya Yearwood dominated the competition at Connecticut’s girls track and field state championships earlier this week. Miller took 1st place in both the 100 and 200 meter dash, while Yearwood finished second in the 100. According to News 8 in Hartford, CT, both Miller and Yearwood are transgender which has some people saying that the pair had an unfair advantage.

According to News 8, petitions have been started by some parents and student-athletes to try and change the policy that allows athletes in high schools to compete for the gender specific sport they identify with. But, the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference says in order for that to happen, state law would also need to change.

"I definitely respect their athletic ability," said Montville Senior Lauren Ross. "It just seems kind of unfair to the other people competing." One petition is being circulated at track meets by Glastonbury mother Bianca Stanescu, whose daughter, Selina Soule, finished sixth against Miller and Yearwood in the 100-meter State Open final. "They could run with the girls if it's an individual sport, however, their scores to count towards male athletes," added Stanescu.

Petitions circulate after transgender athletes take top spots in state competition - WTNH
Transgender Track Athletes Win CT State Championship, Debate Ensues « CBS New York

May 2016
california
No offense intended but most of the girls that win female sporting events are more physically strong somewhat similar to males, than their other female competitors. Former males would just be the idealization of the sporting female wouldn't they?

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Terry Miller and Andraya Yearwood dominated the competition at Connecticut’s girls track and field state championships earlier this week. Miller took 1st place in both the 100 and 200 meter dash, while Yearwood finished second in the 100. According to News 8 in Hartford, CT, both Miller and Yearwood are transgender which has some people saying that the pair had an unfair advantage.

According to News 8, petitions have been started by some parents and student-athletes to try and change the policy that allows athletes in high schools to compete for the gender specific sport they identify with. But, the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference says in order for that to happen, state law would also need to change.

"I definitely respect their athletic ability," said Montville Senior Lauren Ross. "It just seems kind of unfair to the other people competing." One petition is being circulated at track meets by Glastonbury mother Bianca Stanescu, whose daughter, Selina Soule, finished sixth against Miller and Yearwood in the 100-meter State Open final. "They could run with the girls if it's an individual sport, however, their scores to count towards male athletes," added Stanescu.

Petitions circulate after transgender athletes take top spots in state competition - WTNH
Transgender Track Athletes Win CT State Championship, Debate Ensues « CBS New York
I'd want to look at it statistically. What percentage of women's athletes are transgender and what percentage of competitions do they win? If, say, they're 2% of athletes and win 2% of competitions, that would suggest they don't have an unfair advantage, and people are just seizing on a random cluster of success to play out their anti-trans sentiments. If, on the other hand, they're 2% of athletes and win 10% of competitions, then absent a damn strong competing explanation, it would suggest they have an unfair physical advantage and there could be justification for barring them from the competition or coming up with a fair handicapping system so their results are more in line with what we'd expect without the advantage.

Reactions: 2 people
Jul 2015
Maryland USA
I friend sent me a picture of two young boys talking, it was captioned:

First boy says: Hey, you play like a girl

Second boy says: good that's OK, because I think I'm a girl.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Declaring yourself a woman does not magically overwrite the Y chromosome. It doesn't undo muscle mass and bone density.

Reactions: 3 people
May 2016
california
Sports are a competition, if you want it to be fair then maybe basketball should mandate shorter people play too. Could even give them a handicap, if a shorter person scores a basket they get five points to the taller person's two points.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Sports are a competition, if you want it to be fair then maybe basketball should mandate shorter people play too. Could even give them a handicap, if a shorter person scores a basket they get five points to the taller person's two points.
Some parents are concerned fewer girls will go out for sports. Schools already are cutting back on sports and if fewer girls go out they will be the first to go.

Reactions: 2 people

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
By that logic, why separate male and female competitors at all then?

Reactions: 3 people
May 2016
california
Some parents are concerned fewer girls will go out for sports. Schools already are cutting back on sports and if fewer girls go out they will be the first to go.
Seems to me there should be a simple solution, like boxing maybe. Different competitions based on weight, height, whatever, so that the event is closer to equal. Final events could be the one open for all.

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
Should we just get rid of male / female sports and just make it sports?

That would suck, because I would miss female volleyball and tennis.... and MMA.

Reactions: 1 person