Trending, An Observation

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I'm not sure how much you all use Twitter. I use it to read and tweet art and music, not much else.

Over the last 6 months I've observed a trend with the way things trend. Many of the more provocative topics/hashtags appear to signify some sort of great subject to be discussed socially, but most times people have no idea what the trend is about and will flood the search with posts about how they have no idea what they are even responding to.

Let me give you some examples:

#DeathToAmerica is trending today. Based on the news and current events you'd think this has to do with Iran. But if you follow the trend and look at the top posters, it is always the same people.
"I log in to Twitter to see #XYZ is trending, I have no idea why, but I'm just gonna leave this here <insert GIF>"
People have no idea what it is even about... but they are against it! Or for it!

Maybe...

And another:

#ItsOkayToBeWhite is trending too. You'd think it was a bunch of white people feeling like victims as that is an obvious intent. But going through the top 60-80 latest posts shows nothing but people confused by the hashtag and having to say something - and of course posting a GIF. If you drill down further you'll find one idiot who took it to heart and made some slightly racist, I'm a victim, post.

But they are against it. Or for it. Maybe...

And another:

#XYZisOVER trends. These are the trends that come from cancel culture. But often like the others, the top 60-80 posts are nothing but people confused as to what it means, but they have to say something followed by a Denzel Washington GIF or some shit.

Now I'm not complaining people post without understanding why. People can do whatever they want.

But what is clear to me is that the majority of people who tweet A LOT are always in a state of confusion as to what they are posting about and sway any conversation on trends by simply flooding the search with their nonsense. And to me, trending doesn't mean how it is defined, but more or less a new example of confusion with nothing more than a mere minor connection to an actual current event.

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
I don't Twitter. And for the reasons you cite above I got off FB in '14. And a lot of the things folks were getting all up in arms about were simply untrue. Which made it all the more frustrating.

Those things don't jive with reality.
It's a false community of herd mentality and it's scary.

But, I'm not a kid and didn't grow up on social media so I kinda see how it's hard for them to get off that track if that's how they grew up.

Heck, I don't even text...so I'm kinda on the other end of the spectrum.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
It sounds like a room full of people, all speaking ostensibly the same language, but not talking to each other at all ... rather, they are just saying whatever comes into their heads, and it makes no sense to anyone else.

Atonal cacophonous 12-tone ... makes Stravinsky sound sonorous.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I don't Twitter. And for the reasons you cite above I got off FB in '14. And a lot of the things folks were getting all up in arms about were simply untrue. Which made it all the more frustrating.

Those things don't jive with reality.
It's a false community of herd mentality and it's scary.

But, I'm not a kid and didn't grow up on social media so I kinda see how it's hard for them to get off that track if that's how they grew up.

Heck, I don't even text...so I'm kinda on the other end of the spectrum.
I love ya but let me ask you. How is that any different to PH? I have examples if necessary. Maybe I've been here too long.

Reactions: DairyHeiress

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
It sounds like a room full of people, all speaking ostensibly the same language, but not talking to each other at all ... rather, they are just saying whatever comes into their heads, and it makes no sense to anyone else.

Atonal cacophonous 12-tone ... makes Stravinsky sound sonorous.
You might be on to something. As a mod, you would know best. Good eye Ian.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Ultimately if there is any takeaway from this. I've learned that most things trend because people flood the trending topic for likes. And nothing more.

I'm becoming wary of people who make communication a contest.