Trump’s ‘Fake News Awards’ could violate ethics rules

Feb 2007
In my mind
Is is award season, those moments of groups gathering (or in this case one person gathering) to self congratulate on some sort of achievement.

Yes, tomorrow is supposedly the day where our esteemed and classy president hands out awards, to whom I am unsure, for the biggest fake news.

Note that Fox was exempted from participation because the presdient himself decided who could qualify.

However, there may be an issue. For White House employees to participate in supporting the president's mindless delusions characterized as this awards program, it may violate ethics rules.

While I am certain the president will follow through on this, as he follows through on all of his claims such as Melania's immigration documentation and releasing his tax returns, perhaps this could be the out that the president seeks.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/15/trump-fake-news-awards-ethics-339183

Every awards show has its critics, but President Donald Trump’s much ballyhooed “Fake News Awards” has drawn attention from a group beyond the usual peanut gallery: ethics experts who say the event could run afoul of White House rules and, depending on what exactly the president says during the proceedings, the First Amendment.

The White House has not yet said what form the awards presentation, scheduled by Trump for Wednesday, may take. But Norman Eisen, the former special counsel for ethics for President Barack Obama, and Walter Shaub, the former head of the Office of Government Ethics, have both tweeted that if White House staff members were involved, they would be in violation of the executive branch’s Standards of Ethical Conduct, which ban employees from using their office for “the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise.”

Reactions: 1 person

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
lol.... it's a long time in coming for a lying, corrupt, and irresponsible news media.

Reactions: 1 person

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Conservative media yes. Mainstream? Not perfect, but not so much.
Before Trump pitted himself against the media in his own way, there was already a strong distrust of the major media by many. While that hasn't gone away, any importance of it has been pushed to the side and somewhat overshadowed by Trumps actions.

For instance, in 2015 if I said I had a distrust of the media, it would have been far more acceptable - with explanation of course.
Now if I say that I have a distrust for the media, it's due to "fake news" when in reality it's not.

That applies to all media and the understanding of how it can affect a populace.

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
Is is award season, those moments of groups gathering (or in this case one person gathering) to self congratulate on some sort of achievement.

Yes, tomorrow is supposedly the day where our esteemed and classy president hands out awards, to whom I am unsure, for the biggest fake news.

Note that Fox was exempted from participation because the presdient himself decided who could qualify.

However, there may be an issue. For White House employees to participate in supporting the president's mindless delusions characterized as this awards program, it may violate ethics rules.

While I am certain the president will follow through on this, as he follows through on all of his claims such as Melania's immigration documentation and releasing his tax returns, perhaps this could be the out that the president seeks.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/15/trump-fake-news-awards-ethics-339183

Every awards show has its critics, but President Donald Trump’s much ballyhooed “Fake News Awards” has drawn attention from a group beyond the usual peanut gallery: ethics experts who say the event could run afoul of White House rules and, depending on what exactly the president says during the proceedings, the First Amendment.

The White House has not yet said what form the awards presentation, scheduled by Trump for Wednesday, may take. But Norman Eisen, the former special counsel for ethics for President Barack Obama, and Walter Shaub, the former head of the Office of Government Ethics, have both tweeted that if White House staff members were involved, they would be in violation of the executive branch’s Standards of Ethical Conduct, which ban employees from using their office for “the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise.”
Can you imagine the uproar if Obama had decided to do such a stupid thing?

I know people like to say "fake" news, but more often than not that just means news that does not fit their bias.

Reactions: 2 people